Deep rendering and abc material assignment

Hi Everyone, I am facing the problem that I do not completely know how to render out deep data.
I am setting the deep resolver to filename.exr in the mantra node, but it doesn't seem to be rendered.

Also, how would you assign a material to an entire alembic imported network?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
Jonas Jørgensen

I wasn't home yesterday, and for that I am sorry.
But here is my Manra rop, anybody who can help me get my deep render to work, will receive a lot of gratitude and love!

I do get some deep data, when I import it in nuke, however, I do not get an image...

Cheers

deep.hipnc

I got it to work with the DCM file name.

It seems like it is Nuke 8 that doesn't fully understand the file.
In Nuke 7.0v9 it works fine except for the deep.back, which works in Nuke 8 but in Nuke 8 there's no image.

So I guess It is The Foundry I have to contact.

Thanks for the help

I got it to work with the DCM file name.

It seems like it is Nuke 8 that doesn't fully understand the file.

In Nuke 7.0v9 it works fine except for the deep.back, which works in Nuke 8 but in Nuke 8 there's no image.

So I guess It is The Foundry I have to contact.

Thanks for the help

Yeah I get the same. No clue if they changed something (and you have do something else first) or if it is a bug, but I reckon it should show up with just a DeepRead as in Nuke7, so probably a bug.

But I still do not know how to assign a material to all objects inside a Alembic network.
Anyone who can help me out with that.
Is it just remapping of the attribute? It is a file coming from Maya.

Marty I know, since I am a Certified Nuke Trainer, however the image is not displayed in Nuke 8, so a bug I guess.

Re Certified Nuke Trainer...

oh dear - really... writing that here. Sorry, results count, not credentials.   

For all those who don't know in Nuke 8, to see the deep image you can attach a DeepToImage with 'volumetric composition' turned off until the bug is fixed. Hope that helps someone!

I think you have interpreted that message wrong, I am just saying I know that I need to read it through a DeepRead. Nothing else...

I really appreciate your help, but my problem is currently within Houdini (and a bit the Nuke bug).

So if I could get that sorted out first it would be perfect!

So thanks a lot for you help, I appreciate every bit of help that I can get.

Edited by Guest

cool as - back to the topic, it appears that the deep issues are sorted, once the bug is reported and fixed. You've been able to deep composite in Nuke8 ya? Just not see it like in Nuke7. My tests are showing deep comping is working fine once you put a DeepToImage on the chain.

The alembic texturing/material - my experience has been that there is no texturing/materials support with abc files. A quick google shows that it appears people are sending UV maps but I'm yet to do anything like that. Someone out there must know!

Nuke 8 works fine when using DeepToImage, so that must be the patch solution until it has been fixed.

I tried to reference all geometry inside the alembic import to another sop and its material, but when I updated the alembic network, in case I had changed the path for the alembic file, etc. it would go back to nothing, so that was not a solution at all unfortunately.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

an update on using Deep Houdini files in Nuke8 - it seem best to open the Deep renders in Nuke7 and rewrite them out using DeepWrite, then import them into Nuke8.

It appears Nuke7 writes the Deep files in a way Nuke8 likes. Less crashes and more compatibility. e.g. PgBokeh was crashing before and now doesn't, and, you can view the DeepRead without any work arounds.

But I still do not know how to assign a material to all objects inside a Alembic network.

Anyone who can help me out with that.

Is it just remapping of the attribute? It is a file coming from Maya.

You can use the Data Tree pane. Select all the geo - click top level - shift click last level and on any of the "mesh*" layers click in the Material cell. Any material you select from the pop-up will be applied to all those selected.

Edit: you can also use a file node to load the abc as a single geosop then apply a material to the whole, using the Material tab on the Geometry container or parts using material nodes and groups.

post-8321-0-00371300-1389055310_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

Hey Marty, thank you very much.
I've tried that and it worked all fine.

But if I then reload the Alembic network, in case the path is changed, etc.

Then I would need to reassign it all again.

Any way to lock it down, so that It won't change?

Cheers