Pyro Shader Help!

I am just wondering why the smoke is so thick compared to the viewport after I've done the transfer under the utilities tab in the pyro shader. Correct me if im wrong but isn't the whole point of hitting the transfer button that the shader takes on what you see in the viewport? Here is a screenshot to show you what i mean and also the HIP file.

12_27_13_HIGHRES_ShockwaveV1.hipnc

post-10357-0-33412300-1388206229_thumb.j

If you keep both the render and viewport gamma corrected they should look alike. Go to the topmenu, Edit -> Color Settings -> Color Correction -> set the gamma to 2.2, and tick all the boxes (or those that you want) -> hit Apply, and you might as well hit Save As Default too.

I changed nothing in your hip and it looks like this for me, viewport to the left and render to the right:

post-9276-0-73289000-1388248100_thumb.jp

yea it does make it lighter in the viewport. But then it seems to just make the smoke that much more thicker... Am i suppose to redo the transfer in the shader after ive changed those settings or should it automatically update. Also here is some pictures and the hip file again.

post-10357-0-47601200-1388350151_thumb.j

post-10357-0-29209700-1388350173_thumb.j

12_27_13_HIGHRES_ShockwaveV1.hipnc

You shouldn't have to change anything else, and your render there looks crazy - did that happen when you only changed the gamma? That shouldn't happen.

Which Scene Renderer (edit -> preferences -> 3d viewports) are you using? The gamma doesn't seem to have any effect on GL 1.1, so use 2 or 3. You could also update your graphics driver if you got an old one.

Your hip still works fine here as well, so it could be something specific to your computer. I have no ideas left though with what could be wrong.

Anyone else?

• 1 month later...

Have you set the Gamma in Color Settings/Color Correction to 1 and the Gamma in Mplay to 1? Please have a look at the screen grabs for the variety of combinations - this is from Houdini 12.5

Both match dark

Color Correction Gamma = 1

Mplay Gamma = 1

Both match light

Color Correction Gamma = 2.2

Mplay Gamma = 2.2

Mismatch

Color Correction Gamma = 1

Mplay Gamma = 2.2

post-8321-0-80618300-1392086928_thumb.pn

post-8321-0-44774300-1392086943_thumb.pn

post-8321-0-96684600-1392086956_thumb.pn

Hey Marty,

So when I change the gamma in the color settings for the viewport it does nothing.  I can put it to any number and the view remains the same.  The render view responds correctly, but the gl view does not. Even if I set it to 2.2, it still shows it as if it was set to 1.  

-Jason

Try these two things before declaring a bug candidate;

1.Display Option/Viewport tab. Under Color Correction set the Gamma there to something. It should update the viewport immediately when you press enter (tested on osX, H 13.0.317)

2. Under Color Settings/Color Correction make sure once you change the Gamma value to click Apply button.

Try these two things before declaring a bug candidate;

1.Display Option/Viewport tab. Under Color Correction set the Gamma there to something. It should update the viewport immediately when you press enter (tested on osX, H 13.0.317)

2. Under Color Settings/Color Correction make sure once you change the Gamma value to click Apply button.

Unfortunately, neither of these work.  #1 does nothing at all and #2 only affects the render view, but the gl scene view doesn't change. Scene view always shows in gamma 1.

thanks,

-Jason

Send a bug report in to Sesi. It works with no effort here and should 'just work'

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=768&Itemid=239

Also make sure that your video drivers are up to date.

Edit: Make sure to include the operating system, maybe some screen grabs showing the lack of effect i.e. with gamma 1 and gamma 2.2, the version of Houdini, video card model and driver number.

Edited by tar