Is it me? Not able to select a single polygon...

Follyx

To do it this way, which is totally not procedural, select the face and in the VIEWPORT hit tab and select scatter.

If you do it in the network view it'll ignore your selection, in the viewport it'll fill out the primitive data in the node.

• Like 1

If you select the polygon in the viewport and add the scatter in the viewport it will work as intended, because the selection pattern will be passed onto the function that creates the scatter SOP.

Now when you are connecting nodes in the network view pane, it's somewhat assumed that you are going to input the parameters of your nodes by yourself and that's usually how we end up working after a while. Sometimes I even have the network view maximized and can't see or don't care about what's happening in the viewport.

Instead of being a half ass solution, it's actually a bonus that you have 2 (or more) ways to setup your scenes: one that's more visual and generates a result based on what you're doing in the viewport, and one that's more technical when you know exactly the steps to what you want to achieve and don't want the software to be "helping" too much. :)

Cheers

• Like 1

So your all recommendation is to stay on the procedural way by using primitive numbers directly in the scatter SOP. Am I wright?

No, the recommendation is to do what suits you better, but keeping in mind some consistency and checking for the cues houdini gives you.

It's fine to operate from the viewport, by all means, but you won't always be able to switch from a viewport operation to a network pane operation seamlessly (and vice and versa). The only software I ever used that was so good at seamlessly integrating viewport and other panes was Rhino3D, but then it was a completely different niche/package.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers

It's still procedural if you select polygons in the viewport, and use TAB>Scatter tool in the viewport to append a Scatter SOP. The tools take the current selection and apply it to the group field of the created SOP.

When you add a SOP via the network editor, you're bypassing the tool entirely and just placing the SOP, so it doesn't do anything with the viewport's selection.

As far as proceduralism goes, it would be more about finding a true procedural way of doing it. So grouping (or an attribute) based on how much the normal points up in y, or where it is compared to its bounding box, or even a painted attribute, or how near it is to something else etc. rather than specifying numbers. I'd never normally do that, preferring to paint an attribute if I have to and scattering based on the attribute.

But you can use Houdini however you like, that's the beauty of it, so whatever you feel most comfortable with at the time.

Hi Oliver,

Just saw this - been away from my computer (Can't be everywhere at once! ;)). Looks like the guys have posted some pretty good responses though.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Jesus

Edited by Jesus
  • Like 2