RBD object collide with smoke

Hi,

Here comes a newbie question and Im really stuck.

I have this RBD object falling against the ground, and on the frame where it hits the ground, its emitted smoke from a curve source.

The smoke rises as it is supposed to do, but I cant have it to collide with the object.

I have watched tons of tutorials about this but I cant have the "old" methods to work. And it makes no sense to me to make an RBD object a static object as it is falling.

I really appreciate if you can help me out with the best, fastest and most logic way to solve this collision in H 13.

The project is attached.

Thank you.

Stig

smoke_collision.hipnc

You have two separate simulations in two dopnets, they do not see or affect each other.

You could do it the "production" way and cache out the RBD sim, and load the objects from that sim into your smoke sim.

Or, you could do it the "easy" way, and just copy both the sims inside the same dopnet, which is what I did in the attached hip.

If the simulations need to interact in both directions, then you need to do it the latter way, in parallel. In a case like this the smoke probably does not need to affect the rigid bodies, so you could do it the first way, sequentially.

smoke_collision_ee.hipnc

Edited by eetu

Thank you!

So you mean that that only thing to care for is that the two simulations need to be in the same DOP network? So no need for collisions sop dops pops, making of static objects out of rbd objects, you name it and so on? Just put both simulations in the same network and everything will crash into eachother?

Stig

Yep, that's what I mean - a thing of beauty, isn't it? :)

You do need to take care that the merge nodes set up the correct relationships in the direction you need, and there might be some other stuff you will run into, but in essence everything "just works".

That being said, doing things in stages, in separate simulations and caching to disk in between, is often the better way to do it when things get heavy. That way you do not need to resimulate the previous, potentially time-consuming stages, and can just tweak and iterate one aspect much more rapidly.

(edit: this was meant as a reply to the earlier message:)

Edited by eetu

I did open your project, but when "hiding" the RBD object, it still looks like the rbd object is not affecting the smoke.

Stig

Looks to me like it does affect. True, it does not seem to push the smoke around that much, but at least the collision seems to work.