Sprite Crowds on viewport

I am controlling my crowd textures on cards through stamping and it's working great on render but now I was trying to figure out how to visualize my textures in the viewport, since I am using overrides using point attributes I cant visualize them the only way I figure that it could work is if I create through scripts one material for each point using it's textures attributes I don't think the it worth the trouble, I though on sprites but it just works on particles and I am not using them, maybe there is another way to use it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mzigaib

Sorry, I don't normally browse the Rendering forum and just happened to catch this.

The viewport displays sprites based on the sprite_shop string attribute, which refers to a SHOP or Material. It then grabs the texture map used by that material. So if you set up your textures as SHOPs (say, a Decal SHOP) and point the sprite_shop to the correct SHOP per particle, you'll be able to visualize your crowd in the viewport.

Hi Mark, do you know if it's spriteshop or sprite_shop? Because I submitted a bug about sprites not showing in the viewport using Peter Quint's particles scene made in H10 but support said it's too old and the particles work very differently in H13 now.

But IMO this should still work because it's not about old POPs vs new POPs but sprite display in the viewport. Sometimes it's an uphill battle to get bugs accepted unfortunately because of differing opinions between the support and the submitter :( I know you would see this as a valid bug though if it's a bug of course.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sorry, I don't normally browse the Rendering forum and just happened to catch this.

The viewport displays sprites based on the sprite_shop string attribute, which refers to a SHOP or Material. It then grabs the texture map used by that material. So if you set up your textures as SHOPs (say, a Decal SHOP) and point the sprite_shop to the correct SHOP per particle, you'll be able to visualize your crowd in the viewport.

The only catch is that my textures vary according point attributes so I have let´s say 7 different textures but if I use one material I can only see one for all my cards I want to see in viewport exactly what was supposed to be rendered in each different card, in my file I try to illustrate that.

Make sense? 

Edited by Mzigaib

You'd need to create 7 nearly-identical materials, except for the texture, and reference those via the spriteshop attrib. The easiest way would be to name them /shop/decal1, /shop/decal2 ... /shop/decal7, so that it's easier to create the spriteshop strings.

Another option would be to combine your images into a big atlas style texture and then stamp uv offsets instead with a single shop (which would let you see the textures in viewport).. caveat with this method is that mimmaping of the atlas image might be an issue.. it depends on what your textures are and how close/far they're to the camera.. fwiw

You'd need to create 7 nearly-identical materials, except for the texture, and reference those via the spriteshop attrib. The easiest way would be to name them /shop/decal1, /shop/decal2 ... /shop/decal7, so that it's easier to create the spriteshop strings.

Yes I can that's what I want to avoid, imagine if I have let's say up to 100 diferent textures IMHO I don't think that it would worth the trouble.

Another option would be to combine your images into a big atlas style texture and then stamp uv offsets instead with a single shop (which would let you see the textures in viewport).. caveat with this method is that mimmaping of the atlas image might be an issue.. it depends on what your textures are and how close/far they're to the camera.. fwiw

Yes I can but if I have sequences like crowd filmed footage I have a problem, I can see still frames but I notice that I can't see sequences with this sprite technique as far as I know, let me know if I am wrong.

Any new ideas are welcome.

Edited by Mzigaib