14 splash in progress

kleer001

Thinking of love for the copy sop and dynamics and it all.

I'm thinking a spiral of coffee cups spilliing out bright liquids over a choppy white sea, the sun blazing away.

Let's see if I can actually make time for the project. It'd be might embarrassing just to 1/2 bake it. Whelp, wish me luck.

post-1210-0-75063000-1411426392_thumb.jp

at first glance looks like 'Flying Toasters'

Cute! I must be the only person in the world who's never actually seen that, lol.

Here's where I got last night. I'm sure as I learn to use the ocean tool that it'll look less bad.

I'm thinking that the coffee cups are a little too specific and/or consumer producty. Maybe colorful stones bursting open into water or flames or smoke?

post-1210-0-02617100-1411481570_thumb.pn

Don't worry kleer, I haven't seen it as well :P  I would think skipping stones are cool though 

Something I had in mind but haven't had the time to think of how to do it, but something tells me sop solver is involved  :wacko:

E.g. 

skipping-stones.jpg

Maybe you could do it instead :D

Edited by dszs

I would think skipping stones are cool though 

Something I had in mind but haven't had the time to think of how to do it, but something tells me sop solver is involved  :wacko:

Maybe you could do it instead :D

lol, maybe, I am familar with the ripple solver. That said I've only used it once in the last 7 years of production with houdini.

Here's another stab, also I'm thinking of regolyths too. Colorful, festive, regolyths. Maybe I'll just drop the ocean thing. Not that I get sea sick.

post-1210-0-22704600-1411572418_thumb.pn

more progress, but I fear it will be a few days until the next update.

I've decided to dump the coffee cups and go for a more sacred-circle type thing in a rough landscape. Only thing left from the original idea is a vague composition idea. I'm sure that will slough off soon enough.

Edited by kleer001

More work in progress, sketching and exploring. The #1 thing? I went back to the contest page and saw "Your design can either be abstract or realistic depending on your taste. You can choose to have your design visually influenced by the swirl in the Houdini logo but this is not necessary to win."

Whelp, let's go with the spiral theme, it seemed to work last year.

Edited by kleer001

• 3 weeks later...

Very far away from my original sketch, but I'm liking where it's at (near the end of the deadline, lol)

Comments, questions, suggestions are all appreciated. What do you think?

(click on image for larger version)

post-1210-0-97029700-1414526422_thumb.jp

Edited by kleer001

Whelp, hopefully it's not bad luck to post one's final image for a contest before the end of the contest.

So, here's my final entry.

Whew, it's a different world from getting plates and working with a dozen other people on a shot.

post-1210-0-64942400-1414949644_thumb.jp

Edited by kleer001