Houdini RBD RnD - Deforming & Tearing

coolcoke33

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also trying to wrap my head around this.
Were you able to solve all the steps shown in the documentation?

I'm stuck at trying to move the second fracture with the base animation...

Whats the best approach to extract transform matrix of the base animation and apply it to the new fracture?

Hi,

@druidl,you could use the cloth deform like in his hip file,but you run the risk of soft deformation.

Another way is to derive a matrix from the piece and apply it to the fracture.

Very nice workflow, any idea about the cake deforming,it looks to me like a glue network that goes through a wire SIM.

Cheers

Lucien

I'm also trying to wrap my head around this.

Were you able to solve all the steps shown in the documentation?

I'm stuck at trying to move the second fracture with the base animation...

Whats the best approach to extract transform matrix of the base animation and apply it to the new fracture?

The transform pieces SOP does it for you. It just needs some preparation. 

dop import your first sim represented as points. These points have a name attribute, thats important.

Your second detailed fracture geometry needs to have the same name attribute as the first base sim.Ideally roughly on the same areas so the animation makes sense.  So attributetransfer SOP for the win.  Just make sure that each piece has a unique name. 

If you want to run a second sim over it its a bit trickier.

The second fracture geometry needs a name attribute also in order to run which right now is busy from the previous step.

So in the previous step rename the name attribute to something like old name do the transform pieces and then do an assemble node to create new name attribute for each piece for the new sim.

If you also want to bring the animation to DOPS with Packed prims unfortunately its not very easy.

I remember there was a thread for it. Someone shared a nice attributewrangle node that you could use inside a SOP solver in DOPS so that it brings the animation at each timestep. Just make sure that pieces initialise as not active.

Then you can stop bringing animation based on whatever test you want (distance, impact) and make active.