What's the best price/performance GFX card right now?

magneto

Hi,

There are many cards coming out and even some of the later cards like GTX 970 doesn't seem to be better than cards like GTX 780 Ti:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

I was also searching for the 6GB version of the GTX 780 Ti but that doesn't seem to exist even though it's promised years ago.

What's the best price/performance GFX card right now?

Is there a much better card coming out in the near future that's worth waiting for till next year?

Thanks.

• Like 1

That's what I've been anecdotally hearing too.  I haven't checked thoroughly but the 970 and 980 might use less power.

AMD is pretty darn good though if you want OpenCl acceleration. Sorry no specifics as it always changing.

Edit: I forgot, the 970 and 980 have really good OpenCL scores too, much better than the older Nvidia cards

Edited by tar

Well if you want max performance in one card than I would probably say the Titan Z which has come down in price to 1k.

Haven't used it first hand, but if you are interested in GPU rendering this could be a good option. Specially now that houdini octane is around the corner ;) 

Price/Performance wise, all high end cards are terrible :)  And the pro cards need not even apply.

They become a little less terrible if you can hold out for a good sale, especially on the previous gen hardware. The AMD 290X has really dropped in price lately,  and the 970 seems to offer very good performance for $400, if you can find it selling for list. The 980/970 use less power than the previous gen cards, and generate less heat. They also come with more memory (4 vs. 3GB). They are only worth upgrading to if a) you need their enhanced compute power or b ) you have an older card like the 400 or 500 series and need the extra performance or VRAM.

• Like 1