pre-fractured glass render

confusedlittleman

Hi there,
I'm trying to shatter glass with prefracturing via voronoi. So far so good.
I know that the common use to prevent rendering the seams of the prefractured glass is switching from a non fractured to fractured geo within 2 frames.
But is there another way to render the prefractured glass as a solid piece?
Tried transfering Normals from the unbroken object to the prefractured object but that didn't do the trick.

You can use Poly Doctor trick to remove unwanted seams inside geo (delete overlapping geometry), so they will appear when geometry starts to shatter. This is the best procedural approach I found but still there is a bit of tweaking involved.

I don't think you can, since when it's fractured you have geometry inside. I suppose you could do some clever shading, but the easiest would just be to swap it at the first frame of fracture.

edit: You could also delete the primitives in the "inside" group. Maybe it's possible to figure out a way to only delete those where the glass is still "intact".

Edited by Skybar

Hmm that's what I suspected, david
I was able to reduce it to a minimum by playing around with raytrace bias in the mantra node but you can still see that it's prefractured
...which also makes sense because I guess it's related to the refraction nature of glass.

Just thought that there's a mighty houdini workaround without swapping the geos.

Is it possible to use dynamic fracture instead but using my existing prefractured structure as kind of a "breaking guide"?