Pyro Vs Fume

cann

Hi i am trying to get the result of FumeFX in pyro 2 "Houdini 13" but so far no luck plus the scattering tab is now gone from Houdini and using the scatter phase in the pyro shader plus volume diffuse limit only works in PBR and even though it is not what i would expect like Fume is it at all possible to get a result similar to fume 

oh i am awfully sorry i had troubles with my connection right after noticing that i didn't give an example :) .  so what i mean is stuff like sourcing from particles , billowy smoke --- i always get big lumps with houdini even with the tweaking in the shape --- and fire light that scatters in smoke

If you are getting lumps around the particles being emitted, your problem most likely with the source itself.  On your fluid source node, before you bring into dops, you will see what your source volume will look like before it is simulated.  By default the volume radius around individual particles is quite high, to lower this, adjust your "sample distance" under the stamp points tab of your fluid source.   As you lower this to get closer to your particle size it may get more difficult to see, so put down a volume visualization node and max out density and shadow, this will let you see your volume better.

Thank you very much for the link and i hate to be annoying. but there is still a question that baffles me which is how to scatter light inside the smoke like what you get in say FumeFX  .. for example the fire light lights up the smoke in previous Houdini versions you had a scatter tab in the pyro shader now its gone and you have only the scatter phase parameter which does not give me the result i am looking for ? and thanks in advance  :)

Yes thank you that worked but it only works in pbr and it is incredibly slow compared to Fume  <_<

Can you please qualify that with times and upload your file. Thanks!

The way this usually goes it:

1. XXX is so much faster than Houdini,

2. upload file

3. we tweak and it goes fast.

Are you using version 12.5? 

HIP_SAVEVERSION = '12.5.371'

Please try with H14 as the first step - thanks!

Edit: You'll be happy to know those render settings seem wacko :)  - will test out a better setup for you when I can.

Edited by tar

Here's a quick coffee break test  - upped the fire res to make more details, HD render = 84 sec render.

Details:

A few minutes to sim with Gtx 980 card for openCL to frame 24, wrote out the files to .bgeo, Mantra took 84sec, 1920x1080 resolution, on dual 3.33 6 core Xeon, OsX. H14.254 

post-8321-0-85555700-1424918809_thumb.jp

fire_light0_edit2.hip.zip

I am sorry but i have another question . the smoke renders in H14 looks flat or rather very bright unlike H12.5 even though its the same light setup ??  :unsure:

i think i found out the problem but i don't know how to solve it  :D  I think it is the opacity. how can i get a thick opaque smoke ??

Edited by cann

Check the attached  - it's been setup to modify the density of the smoke.  Note: It will sim to frame 54 when opened.

A critical characteristic with Houdini is that is never one way of doing things - this is not the only way, this how I'm thinking of solving it today ;) .Your homework assignment is to come up with a different method.

post-8321-0-27746100-1425157496_thumb.jp

BillowySmoke.hip.zip