Hair revisited

Marc

hey dajuice.. that's some great looking hair there.. nice work. any chance for a hip? (i understand if you cant) ;) also, that rock shader you developed for that road animation in the same dir was sweet..

@arno.. if you have trouble with the obj format, you can also launch houdini, throw down a file sop and load it in. if you right click and "save geometry.." on the node icon, you can select from a list of formats that might be easier for you to work with..

Thanks for posting this shader spice. I was having some fun with it today. :)

22724[/snapback]

This is very nice indeed. Well done DaJuice and Arno. Any chance of an animated test to see the light interaction for back-lit and front-lit setups?

Are you using DeepShadows?

This is very nice indeed. Well done DaJuice and Arno. Any chance of an animated test to see the light interaction for back-lit and front-lit setups?

Are you using DeepShadows?

22735[/snapback]

Also, did you know you can put the supersamples up to 32x32 now? Those hairs can be creamy smooth.:)

Thanks deecue, the road shader thing still has errors as you saw.

Attached the hip. :)

Jason, yes.. using deep shadows, but us Apprentice users are limited to 480x480 maps. I did try rendering with raytrace shadows, and aside from nasty rendertimes I saw no difference at all... this furball is very dense so overall shadows only make a subtle difference it seems.

And yeah, I forgot to set the samples for the render, doh! You can tell the sampling is inadequate in that picture, it looks kinda dithery (plus I'm using Catmull-Rom filtering.. can't stand that blurry Gaussian crap).

I did re-render it with 7x7 samples and that looked nicer. I remember talking with Edward about mantra sampling a while back in the chat, and I think he mentioned that you (or someone else from DD? Can't remember) requested 32x32. Was that request for anti-aliasing hair? I think 8x8 as a cap was definitly not enough, you couldn't really get perfectly smooth mblur from that I think. Gotta say 32x32 sounds like super-insane-overkill though... :lol: I shall try 16x16.

Animated light would be nice, but I'm rendering other crap right now. I was also having trouble with rim lighting, I couldn't get it to work at all. To be honest the parameters of the shader are still a bit of a mystery to me, so I could very well be doing something wrong.

Cheers!

juice_furball.zip

I did re-render it with 7x7 samples and that looked nicer. I remember talking with Edward about mantra sampling a while back in the chat, and I think he mentioned that you (or someone else from DD? Can't remember) requested 32x32. Was that request for anti-aliasing hair?

Heh, yeah - we had some crazy subpixel lines to render on one show and needed everything we could get. Also for DOF renders that sit and stare at out-of-focus objects really needed it.

To be honest the parameters of the shader are still a bit of a mystery to me, so I could very well be doing something wrong.

Cheers!

22737[/snapback]

:)

If I have time there will be a better "manual"...

Btw, the new release has less confusing parameters and is capable of reproducing almost every kind of hair and fur (see some quick examples attached to this post).

Arno

all9uq.th.jpg

I also believe that Mantra geometry aliasing was reworked for H8 so that 32x32 isn't that necessary for most stuff.  Still nice to have that many samples though.

22779[/snapback]

Good to know as my computer completely ran out of ram when I tried 16x16... nevermind 32x32. :P

Spice, those are some sexy renders! :DB)

Good to know as my computer completely ran out of ram when I tried 16x16... nevermind 32x32. :P

Spice, those are some sexy renders! :D  B)

22785[/snapback]

DaJuice - are you not using H8? H8's mantra has beautiful quality for sampling.

And yes; spice - very nice settings :)

Thanks.... :)

Here comes the latest (improved) version of my "physically-based" hair/fur/dielectric fiber shader. In contrast to all previous versions it is for circular symmetric (cross section) hair/fur only.

The "tutorial" is still very rudimentary, but if you need some specific setting I

arno_hair_far_field_circular.zip

Thanks....  :)

Here comes the latest (improved) version of my "physically-based" hair/fur/dielectric fiber shader. In contrast to all previous versions it is for circular symmetric (cross section) hair/fur only.

22799[/snapback]

Nice job. :)

On a side note, can you check the zip file?

The VEX code in the SHOP OTL just has

#include "arno_hair_far_field_circular.vfl"

However, arno_hair_far_field_circular.vfl wasn't part of the zip file. :)

arno_hair_far_field_circular.zip

Nice job.  :)

On a side note, can you check the zip file?

The VEX code in the SHOP OTL just has

#include "arno_hair_far_field_circular.vfl"

However, arno_hair_far_field_circular.vfl wasn't part of the zip file.  :)

22801[/snapback]

Hmm... you are right, the vfl is not included, but the shader should work anyway ?!

If the file is broken try this one:

As always... one version is not enough :)

Here comes the supa dupa release with some nice additional features. The most prominent one is the grouping of the parameters with respect to their meaning and an additional factor for scaling the total intensity. This scale_total factor is especially usefull to adapt the shader to your lighting (it basically scales all incoming light) while preserving the rest.

Cheers !

Arno

arno_hair_far_field_circular_v_1_6.zip

Juice_furball_default_v_1_6.zip