How to create rounded edge shader?

magneto

Hi,

modo has this shader called rounded edge shader. Anyone knows if this can be done in Houdini?

I saw one example online but it was measuring angle between polygons in SOPs and reading back in the shader but it wasn't working for any shape but cubes.

Thanks Michel, that's in the right direction. But the bevel seems faceted for relatively large bevel width:

zBW2nWu.png

I assume he didn't use high detail to render faster. Any idea on how to modify it to make it produce much rounded bevel?

Still very impressed :)

Thanks Marty, it seems useful. But it doesn't handle intersected geometry like in modo, or also NURBS or if the polygons are disconnected. Though being able to adjust the "bevel width" is useful.

aTkxTFi.png

Edited by magneto

Imagine this in Houdini:

Are they using volumes? It would be nice if it showed the actual geometry's tessellation. The wireframe overlay it shows belongs to the original models, but not the final tessellated model. Otherwise it would be a genius boolean method.

Thanks, I just checked it, it seems another cool way. I am getting some artifacts though:

udvWWsI.png

Are they using volumes? It would be nice if it showed the actual geometry's tessellation. The wireframe overlay it shows belongs to the original models, but not the final tessellated model. Otherwise it would be a genius boolean method.

I believe it's implemented through implicit surfaces. Here's a better overview of the workflow with examples here: http://www.braid.com/fusion/help/tips/index.html

I can't wait to get my hands on meshfusion.

Don't expect to get good results with shaders, might be easier to just create the bevels yourself.

• Like 1

Nice trick Marty. How can you blur normals in a shader though? I thought they were ust faking normals similar to bump maps but that was it. It also only seems to work for small width. Here is the blender version:

NR6gE.png

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/20997/shader-rounded-edge-between-the-two-intersecting-faces

• 5 weeks later...

You could implement a gather() loop and use that to retrieve the normals of the nearby surfaces, then use that to adjust N.

If you keep the maxdist as short as possible, it might not be horrifically slow, maybe....

• Like 1