anotherGhostInTheShell

alksndr

Hey, I'm in my last term of Gnomon and graduating soon, I'm working on redoing 13 shots from the original GITS sequence in full cg specifically focusing on the fx for my demo reel. I'd like to start posting up stuff and get c&c, I plan to organize and upload all the files when im done if anyone would be interested. Gonna have to use youtube, site not letting me upload mp4s. 

Flakes- 

Liquid tests- 

Flake fx - wire solver with the first fracture, then those pieces are fractured again, wire cap and deform with foreach and wedge to move the new pieces along with the first so it gets that secondary fracture when pieces stretch too much. After that I did the foreach wire cap deform loop again with pieces that contain the jagged edges, would have been much easier to get that if I had kept the interior pieces but I didn't and motion was good so once the noise is applied to each piece there is a bunch of tiny gaps in the mesh. Ive worked around that by including the original first sim underneath and deleting pieces by velocity, so by the time something flies off its already gone underneath and you can see the base. It works well, but will need that additional render pass :)

Liqu fx- I have emission from a noise pattern on the mesh with a grid underneath her that has higher temp,its doing the variable viscosityand slowing down a bit as it reaches the bottom of her. To keep the strings together its connecting lines between the points that are < 0 and placing more points artificially in there in sim in sop solver. The thickness is still a work in progress, and the timing in the original is so wonky if you go  frame by frame itll like play one frame twice, then the next frame 3 times, then 2 frames normally, then the same frame 3 times. I'm contemplating between keeping it at the timescale of the second vid or lowering it, maybe just slow it down in post instead. IDK yet.

Hope I explained well. This post getting long ha anyways next up is ripples and finishing up the liquid shot before I move on to the other 2 liquid ones.

thanks for looking! Feel free to crit anything!

///////////////////

edit: finished version - alksndr.com!!

Edited by alksndr
  • Like 1

Great Project!

GitS is one of my favs and the intro is classic, I can hear the music in my mind already :P

It think it was already a mix between hand drawn and CGI back then (1996 or what?). And I think they did some new CGI in the second edition.

Do you plan to do it full CGI, shot for shot like the original or expand?

I'm new to H so I can't talk mauch about tech. But the flake looks great, would be probably nice though to have a very slow dramatic beginning, so to say the flakes would stick more to the surface. 

Liquid also looks promising, but up the resolution I would say.

Looking foward to see more Mr. Holy Mountain (have to watch the original now :)

Thanks phil! 

Jan, I'm trying to match the first one not the second edition where the intro became all orange for some reason lol, this is my storyboard of screencaps from the blu ray. I'm trying to get it really really close to the original in terms of timing, color and placement but rendering will be more realistic, will be fun to balance the color with a more realistic look.

Thanks for feedback on the flakes I am gonna try to do that, I've been looking up the original and what caused the wonky frame holding and it seems like it was a remnant of converting to 30FPS for NTSC which I guess randomly selects certain frames to show either 2 or 3 times, the original being done at 12(!) FPS. For now I'll stay with 24 FPS and possibly deleting a few frames to get doubles in post. If its not right I can always go back and re sim with some more slowness and stickiness to the surface. 

Another quick playblast of the liquid, ripples kind of are killed by compression... Resimming some tests now with more resolution n more particles, next update I'll try to be a bit bigger so all 3 liquid shots fx completed and playblasted. See yall then :)

rl2tUek.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, updates

First 3 in this video are what I got the liquid to -  https://youtu.be/5FxPrKXRuGE

And some work on the 2 green shots - https://youtu.be/ropd3olB_RI

Im kinda stumped with how to get the squares in the second shot that build up to sometimes be rectangles and of various sizes and shapes in a procedural way, I got to this ( http://i.imgur.com/wFrgmA9.jpg) which pretty much does the trick so whatever but its using poly reduce and deleting some edges manually. The main technique using unique points, coloring prims red and $CR in primitive sop scale which is awesome for squares but I wanted to try and either figure out how to group some of those prims together so some faces are wider or taller OR it would be sick to be able to use a scatter and copy stamp various rectangles and make it smart enough so that it doesnt intersect!

Couldnt figure out either though :(

Anddd a quick test render- xLTDmWh.jpg

Should all look cool, but i think the green ones look very dated and arent gaining much from being in 3d... i mean itll look cooler in comp but I might add some more stuff to it to help it out.

• 3 weeks later...

still going strong, here is a playblast of all the shots in order!

Todo-

Bubbles in the first two shots, looks like they come from jets that propel her into that chamber so need to figure out how to make that look right

Update green shots with more stuff to look modern

Experiment with fog and dry ice on the rising milk shots to see if i wanna add that

Make some of the cutting shot to shot flow better

Redo the water bubbles shot cuz it looks meh , I can do better

Light

Render

Comp

Look for a job

Let me know if I missed anything , will be back in a few weeks with this baby finally done!

I really like the flaking effect look....before I spend my own set of hours recreating that, do you think you could pass a simple grid doing it? If you can´t, I perfectly understand, of course. In fact, your explanation was pretty good already...

...it´s just, that I feel lazy today hahah.

Edited by Netvudu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice work Aleksandr!
Glad to see your project has come together nicely.

And great to see you are sharing the knowledge.

It was a pleasure teaching such a keen mind :). Stay in touch, and if you are still in LA in the fall, drop me a line.

You're welcome guys! Those flakes at their current level wouldn't have been possible without this man right here. Ive been planning on going in depth with the credit to the amazing teachers and this forum on the thread with the final video so thats coming soon, but I'd like to say honestly I wouldn't have gotten this far without Peter's help in his class at Gnomon! I was very lucky to have been able to get help from teachers with the flaking and liquid shots and just general houdini methodology. 

Nice work Aleksandr!
Glad to see your project has come together nicely.

And great to see you are sharing the knowledge.

It was a pleasure teaching such a keen mind :). Stay in touch, and if you are still in LA in the fall, drop me a line.

Thanks man, it really was incredible to learn from you and I still consistently go into your files to study some stuff, you helped so much with breaking stuff down to thinking the proper way about it and the rest just falls into place. I'll be sure to contact you soon, I'm definitely planning on staying in LA.

So as far as this project goes, I'm almost done after 25 days of pure rendering lol, just compositing and looking forward to being able to post it in a couple of days! So excited to finally see it come together and move on to new challenges.

Edited by alksndr

• 3 weeks later...

Very very nice effects man, I can't hate on this. it looks wicked cool. I was looking at the flakes you did and was curious about a few things. What does the bind node in the attribute vop do? does it add an attribute? I would guess not but in the tutorials in the past that I was reading I found out that a lot of people would only use an addAttrib node in the VOP. I can't really understand what they do at the moment.

Very very nice effects man, I can't hate on this. it looks wicked cool. I was looking at the flakes you did and was curious about a few things. What does the bind node in the attribute vop do? does it add an attribute? I would guess not but in the tutorials in the past that I was reading I found out that a lot of people would only use an addAttrib node in the VOP. I can't really understand what they do at the moment.

Thank you! Yeah bind creates an attribute, in 13 you could do it in other ways but with vopsops gone and separated like they are now, i just use bind.