How to include objs or alembics directly into a digital asset?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if it is possible to include e.g obj's or alembics directly into a digital asset?

The model will never change, so I thought there may be a way to implement it directly, without having to load it manually each time you want to use the asset. Furthermore, the user didn't have to own the file, it will just come along with the asset. Is that possible?

Thank you in advance! :)

Storing the geo in vex, should be very lightweight.

not really

as it is being stored in ascii format, with addition to code used to recreate it, it's size is much bigger than storing in the bgeo, bgeo.gz, bgeo.sc, abc, or simply any other binary format

so while being able to store the code in wrangle and recreate directly is cool as an idea,  the Extra Files section as Michael mentioned is proper way to go

not really

as it is being stored in ascii format, with addition to code used to recreate it, it's size is much bigger than storing in the bgeo, bgeo.gz, bgeo.sc, abc, or simply any other binary format

so while being able to store the code in wrangle and recreate directly is cool as an idea,  the Extra Files section as Michael mentioned is proper way to go

Ah I see, good to know, thanks Tomas :)

Good news! Allthough I was not able to embed objs for some reason, converting and embeding bgeos did the trick. So apart from that, your tips worked perfectly! Again thanks to you all! :)

Edited by Scratch

Hmm...while testing with obj, the opdef: - syntax didnt work and my file-sop threw an error -> "unable to load.." Switching (embedding) as bgeo worked then like described in the manual.

"opdef:/Sop/asset?model.obj" didnt work

"opdef:/Sop/asset?model.bgeo" worked

If you can explain, I'd be heappy to hear what I did wrong.

huh....

weird

I just tried making an HDA with an embedded obj and I'm getting the same issue...

I'll try to see if there is an existing bug for it...

for now bgeo is working and as I said bgeo is better :)

but an obj should still work

Thanks for taking the time to look into this!

Good to hear that my workflow was basically correct, I thought I might have missed something.

Anyhow, like you said bgeo is working, it is better anyway, so my problem is solved. I'm happy :)