Side Effects Sponsors September SIGGRAPH

Stremik

• 2 weeks later...

'allo

some very interesting things were discussed, including informative "how to's" on what constitutes making a practical or CG shot...and duh, the phenomena of fire can be bad for ones health, their early tests with practical fire was quite amusing (huge device that spouts a fireball at an unknown but far distance at a stunt man). i found the segment with the designer of the dragon pretty interesting, we got to see a short timeline of its design progress and some of the references his crew used to make a believeable dragon (i wouldnt know how the end result was, still havent seen the movie!).

the CFD engine disney wrote was impressive, as well as their methods of making dragon skin with displacements. id love to give you a specific word for word recitle, but unfortunately i cant remember it :P

disney has one more movie which will use large amounts of CG (for an action movie?)...after which they will go back to making fluffy, happy happy joy joy types of cartoons. all the information and inovations they have accumilated since dinosaur will rott away in some disney vault. kinda reminds me of the ending in "raiders of the lost ark", anyone know remember this? :)

wit mui lubs,

mike C.

'allo!

unfortunately, no pics :( was busy all day and from what it felt like, just ended up there. camera was the last thing on my mind.

as to the houpla meeting on thursday...i might be able to swindle some photos, but only after we are liquered up!

Mike C.