how can i improve: beach waves

sandy_maith

Hi

How can i improve this shot just to look it move natural movement..somehow i'm not able to control the repetitiveness of the waves...

i want to make it more natural looking like

by carlos parmentier.

This is my first test with houdini and pls bear with me if i'm missing some obvious things here...i tried my best and still on it..

Thanks

sandy

beach_10.hipnc

beah_waves.mov

Edited by sandy_maith

Have you tried using the Beach Tank shelf tool? That will get you to a good point just with a click.

A lot of the natural motion comes from the ocean spectrum movement.

And trust me the first time you try to make a beach wave it won't look as great as Carlos', I speak for experience :)

He's a very experienced and talented artist.

Good luck!

I agree with diego, and thank you diego for the good words :)

Ill try to help you to make beachwave, first of all you can seek my tutorial 

, i made my beachwaves with this method but you can try the beachtank as said Diego, i think works very well! just click and test, you will see the results and pratice it for make your own beachwave terrain.

hope that helps and keep it up!

cheers

Carlos

• Like 2

Pls dont misunderstand..i'm not trying any shortcuts here..

Great to hear from u carlos and thanks Diego....the reason why i didn't use beach tank is i wanted to set it up on my own....

I've seen this tutorial many time Carlos and i'm using this method only

one thing i fail to understand...

What does size and center does  in ocean evaluate node, under volumes .....there is no visual representation of that and i understand from another video of Carlos and some try and error that its does play an important to get good waves..

Did you use any other force other than ocean spectrum?

Thanks

Edited by sandy_maith
  • Like 1

for the sdf you get a visual representation of it, if you name the density field as surface in a volumevisualtization for exemple, uniform sampling should be "by size" in the volumes tab , for the velocity you can use a volume trail ,

you can dive into the ocean spectrum and change the "calc_amplitude", "calc_frequency... and  "calc_amplitude..normalize ." volumevops for adding your math/noise whatever for your owen ocean spectrum 

by creating a sdf with your "ocean spectrum" surface field and your custom vel, will be a good start i guess for building it from scratch but the ocean shelf tools are looking really complicated :lol:  

Edited by deniz
  • Like 1

Ok..so i was able to reach here with the waves...

The only issue i'm not able to fully understand so far is how the size (under volumes) in ocean evaluate node actually works..

Also how can offset the waves or break the repetition is also not clear so far ...

Thanks

Sandy

waves.mov

• Like 1

Hi Carlos

In your file size values in ocean evaluate node are being referenced from size of the fluid tank..also there are some other values are getting referenced too..

Could u pls share the reason behind this, specially referencing size value?

I'm getting very different results when i tried this.

Thanks

Sandy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

First of all, i'd like to thank carlos parmentier for his support and sharing his techniques........

I'm back with a lot of learning r&d and with some results off course...here's the result

https://youtu.be/mc8CZJY95xk

I'd really appreciate to have your views on this and how to make it better....right now i'm learning to create wetmaps, textures, lighting and other stuff to finish my first  shot in houdini..

Thanks all

• Like 1