[SOLVED]Single State Crowd Possible?

Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to help out Carlo_C with his crowd problem and I ran into something I could not solve myself. Using his FBX (located here: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23560-3ds-max-biped-to-crowd-agent/)I have a single biped walking. So I go through the steps of...

1.) Import FBX.

2.) Create Bake Agent (shelf tool)

3.) Bake the agent and yes the files are created.

4.) Populate to generate a crowd_source node (shelf tool).

5.) Simulate to generate the default simulation using the crowd_source. (shelf tool)

This kind of works but the default simulation contains two states, walk and stand. I just want walk.

When I play the simulation my walk starts to happen but then everything starts scooting because I don't have a stand state.

I thought I could just disconnect the unwanted states and transitions but then the solver no longer works. I also thought...well I will just rename the stand to walk for both state and transition but this no longer works either and actually cause Houdini to graphically glitch out and become unusable.

So I guess I'll just ask the question. Can I have a single state crowd system or do I always need two states for the solver to work correctly?

I am attaching my setup HIP file. You can fetch the FBX from Carlo's link mentioned above if you want to try this out.

test_B_Man_01.FBX_SCOOT.zip

Edited by Atom

After watching Peter Quints new Vimeo tutorial on the crowd system I think I have figured it out.

And YES, you can use a single agent with only one state. The problem, of course, was configuring the crowd_source node correctly.

I am attaching the fixed scene along with the baked out agent folder.

test_B_MAn_01.FBX_FIXED.zip

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Atom thanks so much for your help, after watching the Peter Quint video and looking at your file it all made sense and I was able to get it working! From your example it looks like the sticking point was a combination of the FBX import and getting the agent to bake out properly. Changing the FBX import setting fixed the error I was getting. Also knowing what to configure on the crowdsource node!

Time to save out some more states for this test guy and see if I can get a crowd sim working in a simple production scene. Once again thanks for the help Atom it's massively appreciated!! :)