Sand Material/Shader

Hello all,

have created sand using POP Grains and rendered with random colors from Ramp.

But if you go closer and render, you see spheres, as points are rendered as spheres.

So any idea or suggestion of shading points so as to give look of sand to the points ?

:mellow:

Edited by sultan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys :(

Please look at following image as a reference :) :

post-14048-0-84360100-1443039107_thumb.p

(Just Googled image of Beach Sand and selected the above image.)

As POPGrains get rendered as spheres which does not look like sand in close up.

So guide me with your suggestions for creating Sand Shader(s) which has properties like:

1. Randomness of color

2. Randomness of shape

3. Randomness of material (displacement, specularity, transparency,..)

Also the way of:

1. applying the shader(s) to the Particles.

2. technique of instaning random shapes to millions of particles (i dont know whether this approach is feasible)

Waiting for your response :mellow:

Edited by sultan

Sorry guys :(

Please look at following image as a reference :) :

attachicon.gifSand_Texture.png

(Just Googled image of Beach Sand and selected the above image.)

As POPGrains get rendered as spheres which does not look like sand in close up.

So guide me with your suggestions for creating Sand Shader(s) which has properties like:

1. Randomness of color

2. Randomness of shape

3. Randomness of material (displacement, specularity, transparency,..)

Also the way of:

1. applying the shader(s) to the Particles.

2. technique of instaning random shapes to millions of particles (i dont know whether this approach is feasible)

Waiting for your response :mellow:

To answer your last two questions:

1)  here's a post I answered earlier today about shading your sand : http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23866-simple-assign-shader-to-grains/

2)  delay load, and yes its possible with optimization and culling etc.... and more delay load..  :D

• 1 month later...

Def Agree with Alt.   Are you looking to displace the individual spheres for closeups?

Yes NSugleris, for closeups mainly 2 things are required:

1. Randomness in Shape (Roughness/Displacement using a Shader) [note: i've already used expression in Point node for random scale]

2. Randomness in Color

So any ideas ?  :mellow:

For random shape take a cube and fracture it into a bunch of shards. Under the Group TAB of the Fracture type a name for pieces, like 'piece'. Then use Copy stamp to delete non-selected from an object merge of all the pieces. This will give you a random shape for each particle that is based upon the fracture shapes you created in that other object. For random color use VEX to randomize Cd.

I show how to setup the random shapes for particles at the end of this video. ~ 13:37 in time.

https://vimeo.com/146794995

• 2 weeks later...

For random shape take a cube and fracture it into a bunch of shards. Under the Group TAB of the Fracture type a name for pieces, like 'piece'. Then use Copy stamp to delete non-selected from an object merge of all the pieces. This will give you a random shape for each particle that is based upon the fracture shapes you created in that other object. For random color use VEX to randomize Cd.

I show how to setup the random shapes for particles at the end of this video. ~ 13:37 in time.

Hey thanks Atom :)

For Color, i need random colors say from a Ramp, how to achieve that ?

Because i exported the sand as *.bgeo and then when imported, i assigned used AttributeVOP and assigned random colors using ptnum to Random & Ramp nodes which finally gets connected to the Cd of output.

But when rendered, i get Flickering colors ie.. every frame the color gets re-assigend. Any suggestions for this problem ? :mellow: