C++ forum?... maybe?

What whith the HDK being free and all, there is a small possibility that people might want to have code-ridden conversations about things that are more directly related to C++ than the HDK per se.

I've just used the wiki for one such type of exchange, but it feels very awkward, so.... I'm starting to think that maybe we need a C++ forum... anyone else feel the same?... should this become a poll?

Then again; I guess we could just dump it all in "scripting" (lol... scripting... some C++ guru somewhere just had a heart attack :lol:)

Anyway; just a thought.

Cheers!

Guest xionmark
Then again; I guess we could just dump it all in "scripting" (lol... scripting... some C++ guru somewhere just had a heart attack :lol:)

I'm not saying I'm a C++ guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I did feel heart palipations, shortness of breath, tingling in the fingers, shooting pain down the left arm ... :-)

I think a C++ forum would be great! I would argue that the VEX posts should seperated out as well. It's not a scripting language like hscript, (or csh) though obviously closely related.

Anyway, count me in on a vote for the C++ forum.

--Mark

Hey guys

We did actually have most of them seperate up until a short while ago. But some of the forums weren't getting any posts at all, so we merged the lot into a few forums.

I'd say for now, just post in the hdk forum (or wherever you think it's most relevant) and if the volume starts getting high enough, then we'll split the topics into their own C++ forum.

Sound good?

M

Guest xionmark

Holy Crikey!

I just noticed the TerraGen wiki pages are getting edited and there's "discussion" going on ... WoW! I've been buried in work the last few days, sorry I haven't gotten back to you.

This brings up a few things though, what would be the best way to maintane the code when we have multiple editors on the wiki? It's not as "structered" as CVS, what would be your suggestion?

I've never worked on a SourceForge project, is thata good model for having multiple developers?

I'm just now reading through your notes and additions, thanks for helping!

--Mark

@MarcH: Yes, that sounds like a good idea. No need to start a forum unless it promises to have some traffic. :)

This brings up a few things though, what would be the best way to maintane the code when we have multiple editors on the wiki?  It's not as "structered" as CVS, what would be your suggestion? 

I've never worked on a SourceForge project, is thata good model for having multiple developers?

15170[/snapback]

Hey Mark,

Just to be clear; the stuff I wrote over in the discussion page, was never meant to be taken as an "edit", or even a *suggestion* for an edit (I tried to be clear about that). Your code works perfectly well as it is, and so, by definition, needs no editing. The stuff in the discussion was only ever meant as an "exploration" of some generic programming ideas.

And the question I threw out there in the hopes of starting a discussion, was simply this: could something like this tiny byte-swapping utility (which plays an almost insignificant role in your TerraGen code) be written in a completely generic way and still be as efficient as the original, and well... is it even worth the effort? So I tried a couple of versions...

And why did I pick this module? because it's functionally simple to understand and implement; and because its central algorithm is essentially a simple loop, which can, in theory, be expressed through compile-time recursion. So it seemed like a perfect candidate to try some of the generic programming ideas I've been reading about lately.

Anyway... no need for SourceForge... just a friendly chat over a couple of beers, that's all :)

Cheers!

Guest xionmark
Just to be clear; the stuff I wrote over in the discussion page, was never meant to be taken as an "edit", or even a *suggestion* for an edit (I tried to be clear about that). Your code works perfectly well as it is, and so, by definition, needs no editing. The stuff in the discussion was only ever meant as an "exploration" of some generic programming ideas.

Oh heck, edit, slice & dice, revise all you want!!! :-) I was, a) confused by the "discussion" page thinking the code in there was edits in the source (don't ask how I arrived at that conclusion, I still don't know!), and B) quite pleased to see GP code in general, it's good stuff, keeps me sane whilst I currently have to spend 40+hrs/week writing IDL code, :blink:

My reaction was more like, "Wow, this is great stuff! I want to make sure to keep my source in sync with the great suggestions that may come from the community!". "How shall I do this" I asked myself ...

And the question I threw out there in the hopes of starting a discussion, was simply this: could something like this tiny byte-swapping utility (which plays an almost insignificant role in your TerraGen code) be written in a completely generic way and still be as efficient as the original, and well... is it even worth the effort? So I tried a couple of versions...

Exactly, a little byte swapper project sounds like a great teaching example too considering the nature of the problem, dealing with a number of differing types.

Thanks for spending the time working on that, I'm still absorbing it into the neo cortex. :D

And why did I pick this module? because it's functionally simple to understand and implement; and because its central algorithm is essentially a simple loop, which can, in theory, be expressed through compile-time recursion. So it seemed like a perfect candidate to try some of the generic programming ideas I've been reading about lately.

Yea, the compile time recursion is cool, so is the compile time assertions, I was just reading about that in C/C++ Journal last month, never seen it used like that before.

Anyway... no need for SourceForge... just a friendly chat over a couple of beers, that's all :)

15171[/snapback]

Right! Someday I'll get to Toronto and we'll have a few beer inspired chats!

Thanks again for the code examples and explanations, I think they should go in a posting here in the coding forum though since it's not really specific to Terragen and would make it easier for others to read and comment on.

Well got to run, I need to figure what the heck I'm doing wrong with point groups, I'll be working on the TerraGen tutorial soon (once I get the next RF plugin released).

Take care,

Mark