How to use Gas Diffuse DOP for point attributes in a FLIP sim?

magneto

Hi,

I am just trying to use the Gas Diffuse DOP to diffuse point colors in a FLIP sim as an exercise but Houdini complains not having pscale, mass and/or density on the particles. I added the first 2 but still the same result.

I opened the original file from SESI where this was shown, but it complains about the same problems in H14.

How can I make this microsolver work with a FLIP solver to mix colors? I normally use volumes for this but I want to learn about this microsolver, unless it's obsolete.

14.Diffuse.hip

Did you read the helpcard?

If diffusing a point attribute it is important that the density attribute be already properly set by the Gas SPH Density node. This is done in the normal particlefluid solver, but if the diffuse occurs after some emitters, the newly emitted particles will not have a proper density value, introducing NANs into the system.

FLIP doesn't have the density attribute so it won't work straight on the particles. However you can do something like this, faster to work on volumes anyway:

flip_diffusecolor_dv.hipnc

• Like 1

Thanks Skybar. I did but when I tried Gas SPH I got the density warning on that too. Gas SPH Density only asks for Geometry so not sure what else I have to do?

Your technique is nice, but is it possible to do this purely on particles without creating fields? Because that's what I wanted to try with the Gas Diffuse as it seems to support both.

it is, but you may not want to do that

it's there from SPH workflow, which is very specific about attributes as well as them being correct, so density represent pointcloud density as opposed to fluid density as in FLIP, etc.

you need as well to compute neighbor list for that and all in all, just to get SPH stuff to work, you will get so much slower sim that it's not worth over volume sampling

but if you are curious, just have a look into Particle Fluid Solver and Particle Fluid Object for attribs and nodes needed for Gas SPH Density to work

overall I can imagine that Gas Diffuse on points is using pointcloud filtering using some smoothing kernel, which you can easily do in VEX or Attrib Transfer, however it will be slower than volume method

• Like 1