PolyBevel problem

CatTaker

Hey peaople,

As i'am new here, i wanted to ask you something. I started to learn houdini polygonal modeling and i've encountered problem with the PolyBevel tool. For no reason my bevel becames black in some point of modeling and after that i cant really do anything to fix that. I tryed everything i could think about to fix that and got nothing so maybe you have some ideas what can be the problem? I want to noticed that, in houdini 14 this problem does not show up, but only in Houdini 15. Any reasons why and how to fix that?

post-14833-0-25889200-1445777121_thumb.p

Edited by CatTaker

It happens when you have vertex normal attribute. It should interpolate, of course, but currently newly created vertices get default attribute value, which is {0, 0, 0}. You need to manually compute normals. If you don't want to break existing ones, group the whole geometry before beveling, and new faces will be outside that group.

Hand-modeling in Houdini is nearly impossible now due to lack of set of well-polished working tools. I'm very glad to hear that Bevel tool may be fixed, I don't think that it will finally implement that set. However, Alexey Vanzhula's WIP modeler maybe will. The news is really, really great. Procedural modeling techniques also need quality bevel.

post-13104-0-45365600-1445826607_thumb.p

Edited by f1480187

Anyway, its a little odd question but do you think its worth to do polygonal modeling in houdini? I can use maya with no problem but im wondering if houdini will be a little bit like a brick wall in case of polygonal modeling. I know the Houdini power is procedural modeling but for now i want to focus on one thing and than start to think about more advanced techniques. For now im creating simple geometry like tables, columns, chairs etc. so its not that bad but i wonder how does this look like where models are more complicated.

...I know the Houdini power is procedural modeling...

Actually it isn't.  Point/prim/edge numbers are volatile, most SOPs that create geometry won't group the newly created output, extrudes and bevels won't deal with UVs, Sops that create primitives do-so with near degenerate faces, procedurally selecting loops is a pain, procedually splitting and knitting is very difficult, many SOP operations require manual cleanup... list goes on.

For destructive modeling in the viewport SOPs are pretty good however, once your muscle-memory sets-in.  Definitely lacks many of the comfort features of other programs though... its just hasn't received enough attention from top modelers, who avoid it because its been neglected...

Guest mantragora

Check those tools and tell me what you think:

vimeo.com/139664515
vimeo.com/139546585
vimeo.com/119288387
vimeo.com/132057716
vimeo.com/139544897
vimeo.com/119965124
vimeo.com/136122536
vimeo.com/118613104

and tell me what you think about them + tell me what other tools you would like to see created.

I'm re-recording those videos right now, because I changed style a little +  I have new microphone which records a lot better sound + they don't show the latest versions of those tools. From those links only first two are the most current.

I have one more tool in the works, which is a ripoff of Modo script called Edge Extend Magnetic

... Dissolve, which actualy can make geometry even more broken...

Man, don't even start me on DissolveSOP. This shit gets on my nerves soooo much...
I'm working on my own DissolveSOP, because I need this functionality for my tools, working 100% of the time.

Another one is ResampleSOP. I wanted to use it in StraightenSOP to make uniform point distribution, but it was messing with one of the attributes, so in the end I made my own Uniform Distribution in VEX.

TO ADMINS 1:
Why not all video links generate video preview? Is there a video tag that we can use to force preview?
TO ADMINS 2:
Media tag half works. It added couple previews but still ignored other. And when I made all links as media tag, it also showed only first two video previews. So right now I can have 2 previews from clean HTML link and 2 from media tag. FIX IT!

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè

Interesting tools.

One thing that confuses me a lot is term of Power you are using for the parameter that affects amount of the influence. When you say power, I have connected it with exponent. For that parabola hda video my first thought, before listening the audio, was that power should be 2...

I think better name for that Power parameter would be something like Weight (of the effect), or Scale, maybe even Bias could be used.

Guest mantragora

I think better name for that Power parameter would be something like Weight (of the effect), or Scale, maybe even Bias could be used.

But I'm using it only when I'm talking, right? Because I do't see it anywhere on the interface of this tool, beside Bend Power, and I suppose you think about Influence when Styling Scale Attribute?

I was speaking about (almost) all of your tools presented here more generally, not just that single one.

See attached images please. I meant that you are using term Power where I would expect words like Weight, Scale, Bias, Influence, Strength (Bend Strength, or just simply Bend in this case), .

But this is just my personal preference and connection of this ""Power" term to math terminology rather then to the amount of the effect these tools produces.

(But I like that consistency between your tools).

Looking forward to the Nodeway training when it will go more public ;)

Cheers

post-5365-0-08863600-1446153885_thumb.pn

post-5365-0-19469100-1446153890_thumb.pn

post-5365-0-21562300-1446153895_thumb.pn

post-5365-0-06073400-1446153903_thumb.pn

post-5365-0-64513700-1446153910_thumb.pn

Guest mantragora

But this is just my personal preference and connection of this ""Power" term to math terminology rather then to the amount of the effect these tools produces.

(But I like that consistency between your tools).

That's the idea. To keep it as consistent between tools as I can. To avoid user confusion and make them feel right at home even if the tool is doing something different than the other one.

For example CTRL modifier key is always used to turn on some control behavior. For nodes that modify geometry this will mean visualization options turned ON, once pressed, and for nodes that create geometry, since they don't need to visualize the change, this will mean grouping turned ON, because you want to have control over new created geometry.

Looking forward to the Nodeway training when it will go more public ;)

Yeah, some time in the future, once I fix everything that Halfdan broke in Houdini ;)

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè

• 3 weeks later...

Personal opinion with small restraints on expressing it.

there are already many types of solvers inside Houdini .

adding a Bevel Solver , wd be easy imho

.cheers