HQueue Interface extremely slow..

philbu

Hi guys,

yet another HQueue problem. My team and I expanded our university's renderfarm and now we're at about 100 clients.

Everything is working great, but the web interface of the HQueue was getting slower and slower with each client we added and is now it's nearly unusable...

We've tried different browsers (chrome, firefox, internet explorer...) but nothing changed. Our setup is pretty much the one suggested by SESI in the help section, so the shared folder and the hqserver are two different machines.

Do you guys know this problem, or maybe even have a solution for it?

Thank you,

Philipp

I think you should directly contact SESI support to get the best advise at support@sidefx.com.

They were very responsive for my HQUEUE problems.

I would say that 2 potential source are

- SQlite start to show his limits, and thus a MySQL switch could help in your situation

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hqueue15.0/help/optional.html

- Or you have Network issues that are absolutely not related to HQUEUE

But again i would prepare a very detail mail with :

- the problems you encounter 

- your machines specs 

- your network specs 

Be as precise and concise as you can ... and ask directly @SESI.

Cheers 

E

Edited by sebkaine

SESI support answer  :

We've seen in the past where the Completed Jobs table in the JOB's web page can slow down the server if there are too many finished jobs.

Try cleaning out that table by deleting any finished jobs. One way you could do this outside of the web interface is through the HQueue server configuration file. Open hqserver.ini and set the `hqserver.expireJobsDays` key to a smaller number like 3. Then restart the HQueue Server service and wait as the system cleans out jobs that haven't been active for more than 3 days. The cleanup process may take several minutes depending on the number of jobs that get deleted.

Other tips/tricks to help debug:

- Clear out any client and server errors that appear on the web interface's JOBS page.

- Reduce the number of web browsers that are currently viewing the HQueue web interface.

Thank you Benoit, that is the same answer i got from the support, but that was not the solution for me. They told me that they will contact the developers. I will report back if they can solve my problem.

Edited by philbu

A brief update for those who are interested: The support helped me to cut down the possible reasons of my problems to two causes.

Either my ethernet card or the connected switches cannot handle all the traffic, or, like Emmanuel already pointed out, it is a database problem.

Tomorrow I will check my hardware once again and if everything is alright, I will try to migrate to mysql.

If someone in here already migrated from sqlite to mysql on windows and has helpful tips, it would be awesome, because the tutorial on the help page is only for linux :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I finally managed to get everything going using mysql, there was an error holding me back, but with the latest build of houdini SESI solved that problem.
Now my web interface is more responsive. I think that it is still a bit slow, but it is usable  :)

• 2 years later...

What I've found useful was set CPU affinity of python process -1 processor even if CPU usage wasn't high. This made web response faster without needing to switch over to SQL.