geophone - experimental animation

ch3

Love it! Very cool stuff. Could you possibly share a small HIP file or make a more in-depth workflow video if you have the time? I think CHOPs are still kind of a dark art to a lot of people, even by Houdini standards, and I think the community could definitely benefit from seeing the potential in projects like this. Either way, again, very cool work.  :)

Thank you.

I've attached the basic setup.

under /ch/mix there is the master audio out node, from where I select which object to hear at any moment, but also add any volume controls for each different object.

The rest happen at the object level. The head null node calculates which set of points to read on each frame and feeds other parts of the network with the values of the 'firstPoint' and 'lastPoint'. You should only set the frequency and the start frame there.

The audioGen subnetwork works in two modes. Animated and non-animated, meaning that in the first you can have a variable frequency.

If it's constant speed, I just use the straight output of the geometry CHOP, resample it to the desired frequency and add some offset at the start. If it's animated, it gets more complicated, because houdini will only send to the audio card the wave as it stands when you press the play button. So to overcome that, I trim just the section of the samples that sound be heard on the specific frame, I resample that timeslice to the desired frequency, place it back to the current frame and feed it to a record node which will cache out the wave.

I've exposed a couple of controls for that process. Just make sure when in record mode, you play every frame. And when you playback the audio switch back to realtime.

The rest of the network is about normalizing each channel and then mapping the 3 into the 2 stereo channels.

I hope all that makes sense.
=]

odforce_geophone.hip

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

hey there i know its a long time ago but i just downloaded your hip file and get an error in the helix vop sop 
Error 
Vex error: [op:/obj/coil/helix1] Unknown parameter: 'align_axis' 

i suppose it because the changes of the syntax in vex ? any tips what to change ? 

thx a log 

• 2 months later...

hi ch3 and others,

a user on the sidefx forum pointed me here based on some audio processing i did in houdini 13 for which i shared a youtube demo.  the post is here:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/73195/

i also attached a file on that post if you scroll down to just below where the user asked me to share.  i have known that you can generate waveforms that produce audio for quite some time and even created a complex audio scratch (vinyl emulation) which is able to supersede human capabilities, though the attached file does not show this complexity.  the file i shared was more of trying to create a network where you can replace a human scratch with a new sound that has not yet been recorded, but might be in the future.  if you want me to share the super human scratch file i have located it and can do so.

i think your work is interesting surely, as your ability to process the models in your video is keen.  you can also generate audio from waveforms in realtime on the fly in Adobe Flash (now Animate) from mathematical sin wave equations, a process i used once upon a time.

• 9 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 3:20 AM, ch3 said:

Thank you.

I've attached the basic setup.

under /ch/mix there is the master audio out node, from where I select which object to hear at any moment, but also add any volume controls for each different object.

The rest happen at the object level. The head null node calculates which set of points to read on each frame and feeds other parts of the network with the values of the 'firstPoint' and 'lastPoint'. You should only set the frequency and the start frame there.

The audioGen subnetwork works in two modes. Animated and non-animated, meaning that in the first you can have a variable frequency.

If it's constant speed, I just use the straight output of the geometry CHOP, resample it to the desired frequency and add some offset at the start. If it's animated, it gets more complicated, because houdini will only send to the audio card the wave as it stands when you press the play button. So to overcome that, I trim just the section of the samples that sound be heard on the specific frame, I resample that timeslice to the desired frequency, place it back to the current frame and feed it to a record node which will cache out the wave.

I've exposed a couple of controls for that process. Just make sure when in record mode, you play every frame. And when you playback the audio switch back to realtime.

The rest of the network is about normalizing each channel and then mapping the 3 into the 2 stereo channels.

I hope all that makes sense.
=]

odforce_geophone.hip

This is really amazing. I liked this video ages ago. I only read the comments on the vimeo page now and found this thread. Thanks for sharing the hip.