Filling modeled polygon hair objects with curves

Kardonn

Been starting this groom a few different ways so far, all of which seem probably a lot more involved than if I were able to somehow take all of these polygon hair representations and be able to convert them into hair guides.

Here's the polygon representation that I really like the look of:

WSvuW7f.jpg

Here's where the groom curves are at right now. The result is...okay. Going back and forth to the polygons though it's no contest between which looks better as a design.

bMWDWgS.jpg

The unfortunate thing is that the polygons were modeled in Maya without much forethought about some kind of procedural workflow to turn them into hair. The UVs on them don't help, and some of the models aren't even paramaterized the same as others.

If anyone wants to play around though with any ideas I've attached a .hip with the necessary geo locked. I'd be grateful for the help!

lucy_hair_groom_v001.hip

Issue with that is I still just end up with curves along the outer shell of those meshes, when what I really want is to completely fill them along their length.

Either way you're right that they'd have to be properly parameterized either mesh type surfaces or NURBS first, but that's not the hard part as much as the filling with interpolated curves.

Kristinka plugin i think would be you best best. As it has been said before the NURBS surfaces need to be parameterized but it lends itself well to those who like to model in Houdini. 

It is very good at take a shapes then filling it with hair. The details like curls/clumping is quite procedural too which is nice. Try them all though to see what works for you.  

Regarding Kristinka hair, closest operator could be *adaptation* of 'kh form follow curve', where input geometry could be only a set of 'spine' curves, used for deforming the polygonal cylinders in Maya - at least I believe this was the modeling method. However this won't create a rounded cross section, it will be a sort of Voronoi shape defined by closest first points on curves. That is, Kristinka strictly creates all hairs 'from head', usually just one emitter for all, then it deforms the strands, later - it does not works directly from grooming geometry. This to get as much even distribution of hair roots, important for realistic renders. By the way, 'emit directly from grooming geometry' approach, which I think fits better to supplied... 'free form'... :), in Softimage environment belongs to Melena branch, which is not 'translated' to H, yet.

Supplied Kristinka for Houdini operators based on nurbs surfaces are far away of forms in image, even polygons are converted to nurbs. It will output something weird.

In short, if voronoi style of cross sections, along set of 'spine' curves is ok , together with parametrically defined distances to curve (by spline ramps), I'll take a time this weekend. While I'm pretty sure about setup and math, just discovered how I completely forgot to work with HDAs (didn't had chance to play with H for some time), so simply no results right now.

Edited by amm