[SOLVED] - Gigantic Ocean Waves - Plausible Approaches

bifrost

Hey guys! What's up?!

So I just wanted to post a topic here about creating a gigantic ocean wave (teahupoo wave) using Houdini. To start with I have some references in a video which I would like to take as a starting point. 

First 20 seconds should give you a good enough idea.

Now my question is, what are all plausible approaches to such simulation? There is one where you transfer velocity from "geometry to flip" to get the desired effect but I am more interested in using geometry deformation to create the initial shapes and then creating foam/mist from the hit points of that geometry. 

Any idea regarding this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Here are some image references. 

-bifrost

Edited by bifrost

Well, Carlos Parmentier did exactly that kind of wave, but I think he used mostly FLIP...

You could send him a msg, he's a nice guy ;)

Hey Diego! Yes I have seen Carlos's simulations before. They are nothing short of extraordinary. However, in this particular example, although the waves are teahupoo in nature, it's still not the scale I am looking for. I am still trying to figure what all can be done to achieve the scale in the video I posted. Challenging but fun. :)

https://vimeo.com/54002693

The description of this video has a file (built for h13) that should point you in the right direction for geometry wave sculpting.

-Ryan

Thanks a lot Ryan. I was kinda looking for something like this. However, I have got a question. How about if we have an initial shape from the geo and transfer the velocity with some "forward motion" so flip doesn't just fall downwards and follows the motion in that fashion? Does that make any sense? I am in the midst of trying the technique using the setup that SideFX has in the 'Wave Tank' shelf tool.

Your thoughts on this are much welcomed. ;)

-biforst

Edited by bifrost

Sure. You can take the geo and make a velocity field from it and put it into a field force. If you want more forward motion, you can either manipulate the vectors you already made in SOPS or create a secondary field that has those forward vectors and just blend them together.

This is basically just going to be some trial and error to get it looking right.

-Ryan

Edited by rbowden

Sure. You can take the geo and make a velocity field from it and put it into a field force. If you want more forward motion, you can either manipulate the vectors you already made in SOPS or create a secondary field that has those forward vectors and just blend them together.

This is basically just going to be some trial and error to get it looking right.

-Ryan

Hey Ryan!

Thanks a lot for replying again. So here is what I am doing at the moment. I took ocean geo as a surface field after putting down extrude from volume and generating velocity on it using trail but there is a catch. Because the inside of the geo is empty, there is no velocity data inside. It exists only on the surface. Therefore, the forward motion isn't there. To make my point a bit more clear, I am attaching a screenshot of this. Any idea on how to fix this or generate velocity field inside the geo?

-bifrost

post-12836-0-37681500-1456900212_thumb.j

Edited by bifrost

You could fix this two ways:

1. You could mess with the sample distance on the fluid source node which is under the stamp points tab. It will make the velocity field bigger than your surface but, it will also fill up the inside.

2. You could use points from volume SOP to fill up the inside of the geometry with points. You would have to play around with the point separation with this one to make sure it doesn't get heavy. I have attached a screenshot showing my test with this using only a sphere. I calculated velocity after the fact to make sure it gets calculated on all the points.

Hopefully this helps!

-Ryan

post-5123-0-35405700-1456940934_thumb.pn

You could fix this two ways:

1. You could mess with the sample distance on the fluid source node which is under the stamp points tab. It will make the velocity field bigger than your surface but, it will also fill up the inside.

2. You could use points from volume SOP to fill up the inside of the geometry with points. You would have to play around with the point separation with this one to make sure it doesn't get heavy. I have attached a screenshot showing my test with this using only a sphere. I calculated velocity after the fact to make sure it gets calculated on all the points.

Hopefully this helps!

-Ryan

Hey Ryan! Sorry for the late reply. I got busy at work so had to postponed this. 

So I got back to it last night and made a proper setup. I have got velocity vector in SOPs but for some reason, my flip isn't taking into account those velocities. 

I have attached my setup below with bgeos of OceanGeo. If you can help me with, I would really appreciate it. :)

Everything is bind to $HIP so you just need to open the file and take a look. You would be able to see the velocity vectors on frame #2.

-bifrost

oceanRnD.rar