Industry shift, or is it just me?

kleer001

I’m wondering what's changed. Back over a decade ago when I first started in the industry, and consistently up until a couple years ago, I would get onto a show early in the production schedule. Sometimes before all the plates came in.

Now a days (in the last 2 years) I’m really only getting in on the last 3-4 months of production. 11+ years of fuel term shows, and now I'm being shuttled from show to show. Now, this is only the last two studios (and 6 shows) . And maybe they’re on the same cost-benefit train. Or maybe it’s the local environment. Or maybe it’s just timing.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to you? Do you prefer one style over the other? Was I just lucky for years and now I'm with the main stream?

I think that is the difference between being the grunt that implements the solution over being the grunt that conceives the solution.

I am still stuck at being the grunt that implements the solution. I am rarely included in any brainstorming or story concepts. I usually end up with a storyboard and a time frame to implement. At least in the advertising industry.

But lets think about the collapse of the visual effects houses who were built on that "open-bid" concept. Where a director could come in at any point and change the scene and not incur any cost penalty. I think with the demise of that business model we are going to find more of a stricter implementation of concepts. I can foresee more time being budgeted for getting the storyboard right and less for implementation. Because the free ride is over. All changes requests cost money.