ground piece coming from crash

ioness

Hi, I have a problem figuring out how I can create some pieces coming from underground after a ship crash.

I tried to fake it using some Rigid bodies but it doesn't follow the shape of my ground which is deformed.

Here is a render of what I've done so far, (the scene and the alembics can't be uploaded, they are too heavy).

I need to add the in the front part of the spaceship.

Thank's

upload_forum_720p.mov

• 1 month later...

After more refinement to the shot, I managed to get to the level of detail I wanted.

Sadly, everything which concerned the ground is rendered in Clarisse iFX, and when I try to export about 100k ground pieces to Clarisse, I always get an alembic file very heavy (12 giga for 25frames!!!);

I tries to export them as a single packed object and in polygons, this alays gave me a file heavy. The only way to reduce this is to make them packed object, but it gave me either a long list of alembic files in Clarisse.

Here is an image showing what the problem is.

So what I would like is to get the organisation of the first one while keeping the size of the second. Is there any way to get this?explication.jpg

If you are just looking for a way to move all 100k objects into a single Clarisse folder/context, python scripting might help.

Paste this code into a Clarisse Script Editor and adjust the variables to match your file naming.

def fetchIfObject (passedName):
    # Return a named item if it exists.
    try:
        result = ix.get_item(passedName)
        if result == 0:
            result = None
    except:
        result = None
    return result

# Create the contexts that will hold the objects.
geo_context_name = "project://scene/abc_parts"
ctx_geo = fetchIfObject(geo_context_name)
if ctx_geo == None:
    ctx_geo = ix.create_context(geo_context_name)

# Set these values to match your needs.
ctx_original_path = "project://scene/"
name_root = "my_object_name_"
range_start = 1
range_end = 10

# Move like named pieces into new context.
for i in range (range_start,range_end):
    s = "%s" % i
    temp_name = "%s%s%s" % (ctx_original_path, name_root, s.zfill(4))   # NOTE: zero pad may not be needed for your file naming.
    temp_ob =  fetchIfObject(temp_name)
    if temp_ob != None:
        temp_ob.set_context(ctx_geo)

Set the name_root variable to match the name of your objects, then set the range count. I have put zero padding in place as well, but your file naming may not need that. Try a small frame range first until you get the code working then extend to cover the entire range.

After you run the code all named objects will be moved into a new context called "abc_parts".

Edited by Atom

Hi atom, thx for your help. In fact, my problem resides mainly in how to export my 100k object while keep a reasonnable size of the alembic. If a get an alembic of 80mo, Clarisse takes about 5min between frames to read it, mainly because of the number of element inside it.

So, what I would like to achieve is an alembic of small size while keeping the number of elements inside to one. I'll make a simpler scene showing what my problem is.

edit:

After making a scene simpler, I think it might come with the way I created the copy (I used stamp geometry on the copy node). This might have caused the problem

Edited by ioness