Volume Advecting a Wire Sim?

Kardonn

Anyone able to point me in the right direction with how to set up a Multi Solver that would let a wire sim be blown around by a pyro sim? Just messing around for fun with simming some long hair, thought it would be neat to have it interact with an actual simulated wind instead of just some kind of curl noise force...then realized I have no idea how and searching the net wasn't too helpful for it either.

several ways to do it. If you want a lot of control I would just use a wrangle node in a sop solver, point to your velocity sim say with input 1 so the code would be:

vector vel = volumesamplev(@OpInput1,"vel",@P);

@v += vel;

then you can mult or do whatever do the velocity vector before its added to your wires velocity value. Could also combine popsolver and use advect by volume, but I figured this was simpler.

-N

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, but only issue is just that I'm back to not knowing how you actually combine the SOP Solver together with the Wire Solver in the same DOP Network.

Right now (and I'm sure this is wrong) I have the Wire Solver feeding into the Multi Solver's left input, the SOP Solver into the right input, if I go into the SOP Solver I can see my wires and interact with them...but if I do something like "@v += {1,0,0};" I just watch the vel vectors grow in the viewport without anything actually happening.

Oh this is much MUCH easier than I was imagining...

Under the Drag tab in the Wire Object, you've got Normal Drag and Tangent Drag, and External Velocity Field (defaulted to "vel").

As long as you merge the Wire Solver with a Pyro/Smoke Solver, it will affect it already by default!

Another problem solved by the old "read the ****ing manual" addage. I was just reading the wrong manual for the Wire Solver instead of the Wire Object itself where this magic happens.

Edited by Kardonn
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kardonn said:

Oh this is much MUCH easier than I was imagining...

Under the Drag tab in the Wire Object, you've got Normal Drag and Tangent Drag, and External Velocity Field (defaulted to "vel").

As long as you merge the Wire Solver with a Pyro/Smoke Solver, it will affect it already by default!

Another problem solved by the old "read the ****ing manual" addage. I was just reading the wrong manual for the Wire Solver instead of the Wire Object itself where this magic happens.

haha goodtimes!

If you wanted to break it out into 2 steps so you could do your fluid sim separately you were on the right track. Multi-solver, then wire object goes into the far left connector then the wire solver goes into the right connector followed by the sop solver. treat the right connector like a merge, with a left to right hierarchy where you are just combining the solvers . The main solver being the first one plugged into the right input, nothing needs to be plugged into either of those solvers.

-N

• Like 1

Hi, nice effect !
I tried something according to what you said but I can't get any advection. Is there something that I miss? [edit] my bad : "react to fluids and smoke when the Tangent Drag and the Normal Drag have been chosen sufficiently large" read the doc...

Edited by tious13