b&w to color

deecue

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/Colorization/

So a coworker came across this today and it baffled the hell out of us. So I thought I'd throw it up here to see what people think about it. I'm ok with believing it most of the way, but those video's at the bottom are crazy. Especially the last video makes me have a hard time believing it because of the "stuffed animal" has a reflection in the window and it is red in that reflection, yet i did not see any color strokes supporting this. So it's definitely somewhat obscure, but still very cool if for real.

Either way, I thought you guys would be interested in checking it out..

Very cool stuff.

But what makes you think it's not legit?

I agree that it's hard to tell where the reflection's red hue comes from in that last video. But it's more like a redder version of blue; not pure red... so it's hard to tell.

In any event, I'd say that any paper that makes it to the siggraph proceedings has a very high likelihood of being legit. This one in particular can be found on page 689 of the 2004 SIGGRAPH proceedings. Besides... they also make their Matlab implementation available so... anyone own a cut of Matlab out there? :)

Cheers!

yea, it probably is for real. it was just one of those moments where you are like "man, that's pretty cool" with an almost too good to be true expression. i mean they are definitely backing themselves up like you said, it's just still pretty amazing with what is being done. i'd be interested to see if anyone else on here had matlab and could test it out for us to get feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
The examples are nice, but I've heard people (who tested it) said it was quite horrible. I haven't tried it myself yet, it's just what I've been told.

16942[/snapback]

i know i might sound a bit of a skeptic, but i would like him to do a video capture/timelapse on how this works, not giving away hw it works just him drawing the lines and then rendering.

Or to show us what happens when you dont do it right, when ti goes wrong. Looking at some of the videos i can see parts that have colour where reference lines havent been painted, and its not inheriting colour around it.

When I studied photography, I had a go at doing this sort of thing manualy. (ie. on real emulsion) The results were okay, but the lack of any depth to the color gave it an overall false look. The same issues are apparent in these examples.

I can kind of see how this software is doing what it's doing. Any marked area has its surrounding levels range evaluated. Steep level changes denote an edge of the area. Imagine edge detecting an image, bucket filling in the different areas produced, then multiplying the fill layer with the original image. The stuff these guys are doing is surely a little more complex than that, but I'm confident that it's not voodoo! :D