Rendering sequences non sequentially (Mantra, Arnold, Octane, etc.)

This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering what - if any - renderers use previous frame data for precalculation of the current frame?

And as I suspect the first question is going to be "Why would you want that?" and it's in regard to estimating sequence render times - something you can't really do based on the first N frames, unless you have a quite unchanging scene.

• Like 1

I would guess no, but I also know render devs are using a lot of trickery to speed things up in precalculation, perhaps using data from the previous frame, thus a non sequential render would break that, disabling that optimization...

But I'm just wildly guessing at this point. Or rather, that's my default modus operandi. :D

2 hours ago, Farmfield said:

This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering what - if any - renderers use previous frame data for precalculation of the current frame?

And as I suspect the first question is going to be "Why would you want that?" and it's in regard to estimating sequence render times - something you can't really do based on the first N frames, unless you have a quite unchanging scene.

You mean like displaying ETA for current frame using data from previous frames? I don't think it's a job for renderer. They can even be rendered in two different locations, and simultaneously, so this info is not present yet. 

It's a job for render manager, and some of them can do decent job on estimating time of arrival for sequences although, as you mentioned, neither CPU time nor RAM usage isn't to be trivially estimated from a single frame. Some systems take random frames from a sequence to farm, estimate statistics and assign job at night to pools of machine based on that facts.  For example they can this way save some licenses by assigning multiply jobs which do not saturate RAM to a single machine. 

As to using actual render samples from previous frames, this is completely different topic, so I hope you didn't mean that...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, symek said:

Some systems take random frames from a sequence to farm, estimate statistics and assign job at night to pools of machine based on that facts.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of, though not randomly. That's why I want to know if any renderers will lose performance doing that due to precalculation based on the previous rendered frame.

Now, I didn't think any renderers did, seeing a farm render manager would split them up anyways, but I wanted to double check that. :) 

well i would be curious if you guys has any idea with those 3 scenarios :

I have a sequence that go from 1 - 300

1 - i want to render F123 - F155, F225 - F268

2 - i want to render F12, F50, F127, F254, F256, 

3 - i want to render F1-F300 but in a random fashion not sequentially

I'm on HQUEUE by the way !

Cheers

E

Edited by sebkaine