converting a "long hair" fur simulation into some polygons for export

anthonymcgrath

Hi all i'm fairly new to houdini and still learning the ropes somewhat.  I hope you can help me a little bit with this issue here?

I have a simulation of some long hair attached to a character (inspired by a fantastic Method Studios video.. so sue me hehe!)

anyway i wanted to be able to convert the nurbs curves that are created to some geometry - simply cylinders or a tapered tube perhaps then export out that geometry for rendering in maya perhaps.

is there a way to do this?  I cant seem to dive into the fur network and add any kind of 'physical' polygon geometry that i can export.

So my next thought was create a new network and bring in the geometry to that and convert it or perhaps use a copy node and deform a tube down the curves, but again i cant seem to suss that one out :/

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me please?

thanks
anthony

dad_dance.JPG

polywire_on_create_fur.jpgHi ,

Dive inside the network and use a polywire.

Like on these Guides , Got to be somewhere ?

Mangi

Found it, inside "create_fur"

Cheers

polywire.jpg

Edited by mangi

hey thanks for your reply - jumped up early to have a go at this and found the node in question - annoyingly though it throughs up this problem.  I did a google search and tried removing and renaming my houdini folder in my docs and settings but still no joy :/  bit frustrating lol

prod_perm.JPG

1 minute ago, michael said:

you have to "unlock" the fur node - currently it is locked - to prevent changes

just RMB on it and select "Allow Editing of Contents

hi Michael - i am right clicking on the fur node but there isn't actually an "allow editing of contents" option ?  :/

well i sort of found a workaround - i created a new box, dived in removed the box geo, dropped down a dopimport and then connected a polywire to that and it seems to work!

I'm a bit frustrated i cant seem to suss out the other method though - weird because i am fond of googling and searching for answers before jumping on forums asking for help and i couldn't find the "allow editing of contents" option at all - i even re-installed the software and removed my c/documents/houdini folder too.  Hopefully i'll suss out the answer

edit - i wanted to be able to keep the fur using nurbs curves as opposed to polys, so between the dopimport and the polywire i dropped a convert node in that converts nurbs to polygons and now i can change the resolution and tighten it up easily.

dopImport.JPG

Edited by anthonymcgrath

17 hours ago, anthonymcgrath said:

Nope. No such option weirdly!  I am on houdini 13 tho which I know is an earlier version but there's enough in there for me to mess about with right now!

ah well...

I just tried it with Houdini 13.0.803 and the option is there

RMB on the fur Object Node and it's way down in the bottom section.

I really really recommend upgrading to 15.5