WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE RENDERING???

Hi all!!

Please can someone explain to me why this is happening? I have modelled a candle flame using a elongated sphere and applying a glass shader to it to give the effect below...(on the left). I think this looks fine for what i need so i was quite happy. This pic was rendered purely using the "view: mantra" thing. I then went on to render it using mantra,without changing anything, and it came out looking like the one on the right below. I was not happy...

Why is it happening? Is there a way i can make it look like the good one?

I appreciate any help you can give!!

Cheers,

Nick

post-848-1112286258_thumb.jpg

post-848-1112286430_thumb.jpg

if u noticed the difference between the two images is amount of light...

Put an extra light or two to get the correct image...

maybe an ambient light might do the trick...

also check and see if any lights have their render flag off.

nick,

im thinking that you are just rendering from two different angles and that's all..

when you do a view:mantra, you are rendering from the perspective that you are currently viewing.. so most likely you are facing dead on where the light is projecting on to your candle..

if you're going to a mantra rop and rendering from there, it will be using a specific camera.. (if you haven't created a camera, it will use the default one).. which in this case, seems to be set off to the side off the candle and is showing the lighted and shaded part rather than being dead on..

i would definitely go and take the time to view all the intro video tutorials possible at sidefx and 3dbuzz.. they would be very beneficial for you and i think you would grasp the interface a lot better..

nick,

im thinking that you are just rendering from two different angles and that's all..

when you do a view:mantra, you are rendering from the perspective that you are currently viewing.. so most likely you are facing dead on where the light is projecting on to your candle..

if you're going to a mantra rop and rendering from there, it will be using a specific camera.. (if you haven't created a camera, it will use the default one).. which in this case, seems to be set off to the side off the candle and is showing the lighted and shaded part rather than being dead on..

i would definitely go and take the time to view all the intro video tutorials possible at sidefx and 3dbuzz.. they would be very beneficial for you and i think you would grasp the interface a lot better..

17186[/snapback]

Yea...i did think of this, but both when i did the view:mantra i WAS looking through the camera....so, same view, but the lighting looks different for some reason. Also, in the view mantra, the edges of the 'flame' appear slightly blurred (i like this), but in the mantra render it is quite sharp...i just wondered if there was a reason, given that the view is exactly the same, the lights are all turned on correctly, etc, etc. Does view:mantra do something different to just mantra?

What you may want to do is create a light that only affects the flame and put it just under the camera. That way you'll always have the same look for the flame.

M

17188[/snapback]

This works well for now, but i think Deecue is right - i'm gonna have to go through the whole lot of tutorials to understand exactly what is going on! But i seem to be getting not bad results at the moment, just a bit more understanding is needed i think. It's a lot to do with knowing what houdini is capable of - if i dont know something exists, then i'm not going to be able use it :blink:

I'm pretty sure that the Mantra ROP and View:Mantra are slightly different only in the sense View:Mantra is rendering with a Shading Quality of .7

You can et the same (not great) quality in the Mantra ROP by setting "-s 0.7" on the Render Command.

You can also set this on a per-object basis in the Render tab of the Object.