Sim Bogs Down, Settings Need Help

Gilly123

Hi guys n gals,

I'm am trying to sort out if my settings in either Win10 or inside Houdini are wonky.

I have:

Asus Z10PE-D16 Motherboard

32 Gigs of Ram

GTX 780 Graphics card

31" LG 10bit monitor using Display Port to drive it.

Two Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 @2.60 GHz 8 Cores each for total of 16 cores.

When I set up a tutorial that (attached), the system seems to only use two cores for the particle sim and drags on and on. I'm not using hyperthreading. All the cores show up under Win10.

Is there a setting I should have set differently? I noticed under the "Environment Variable" details, that AMD64 came up as the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE. (Houdini_Info.txt attached). I have not really changed any settings since I don't want to mess the install up.

Any help or info on if this is normal or not, would be GREATLY appreciated. The gentleman giving the tutorial was playing back the sim at quite a reasonable speed, and I did not think my little home made box sucked as bad in comparison. It would hit frame 130-ish and the particle sim would bog down. I almost thought it was because the tutorial had this particle sim built without the shelf tools and perhaps this method was at odds since there is no Blue or Orange cache bar showing up in the timeline.

THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help and for all the tutorial and posts everyone provides :P

Bill

SEE POST WITH DROP BOX LINKS BELOW>>>> SORRY they just would not attach without an error.

Edited by Gilly123

After looking over your file I come to the conclusion that it is working correctly on Houdini 15.5. If you middle click on the particle system you can read that the particle count continuously increases so it is natural for FPS to drop as you put an increased load on the system. The particle system node you are using may be from an older time, as perhaps the tutorial itself. There are newer systems such as DOPs where you have more control and can activate OpenCL to accelerate the calculation of the simulation.

There are a few examples of tornados on this forum. Visit the link in my signature for a list of possible files.

Here is a link to a nice tornado example file.

Thanks Atom!!

Yes, it is an old tutorial. 3DBUZZ TUTE  It's hard for me to tell what version was used, but by the node icons, it seems old.

It just seemed odd that in the tutorial, he would hit play for the sim and it was chewing right thru it. I have been trying to learn from the tutorials that go thru the ground up build, rather than shelf tools so I can get a better grasp on what the nodes are doing. I can always come back to this one and replace the setup with as you say, more modern coded DOPs. I'm still blown away with the depth that Houdini is capable of and that users can decide how deep they want to swim.

I've still got water wings.... but I'm workin on it!!!   Thanks again Atom.

Bill