Brazil vs. Mantra

Szymon

How can you really compare both? Mantra doesn't have several features which Brazil does have.

Mantra is more a production-type renderer, and becoming more and more a industry standard (as seen in "The sum of all fears", by Rhytm and Hues). While Brazil is more a "pretty image"-renderer, like mental images' mental ray.

I've never been such a fan of Brazil and personally I like Mantra way more. Oh and, coming back on the "pretty image" thing, don't get me wrong Mantra can produce really sweet renders. You could, for example, fake the global illumination effect. (I've seen a technique for it once, if I'm correct by Sean Lewkiw).

Also, using Mantra with some powerful VEX shaders, and recently with the help of the immensely cool VOPs, makes it all too damn sexy. Speaking of this, what kind of system does Brazil have for it's "shaders"? (I wonder if it actually has a shading language...)

also, don;t go passing off mental ray as just some pretty picture generator, its a really impressive renderer.   but that;s just my opinion.

I never said it wasn't an impressive renderer. But it's just not really that suited for productions, yet.

Isn't mental ray the second most used production renderer in the industry?

Brazil is very nice btw.

I took the little monster I modeled in Houdini and rendered it with the public alpha version of Brazil.

SillyBrazilMonster.jpg

Maybe it's more of a pretty picture renderer compared to mantra, but that ok, I'm a pretty picture kinda guy. :P

Isn't mental ray the second most used production renderer in the industry?

PRMan, Jig, RenderDotC, Entropy (before that BMRT, with or without rayserver), also proprietary renderers and recently also Mantra and mental ray, yes, are used mostly in the 'industry.' At least, that's what I heard.

Brazil is very nice btw.

I took the little monster I modeled in Houdini and rendered it with the public alpha version of Brazil.

SillyBrazilMonster.jpg

Maybe it's more of a pretty picture renderer compared to mantra, but that ok, I'm a pretty picture kinda guy. :P

Well, how could you compare this with your Mantra-rendered image? (!) I mean, you should have rendered with the exact, or at least with a very similair, setup that you've used to render the monster with in Mantra.

Still, I think VEX is too damn sexy. I also think that features like hybrid "global illumination"/radiosity and caustics rendering could be available in the future, if SESI really wanted to.

Well, I wasn't comparing it with my mantra render.

I'm sure if I had used the same settings the images would have looked almost identical, but what's the point of using Brazil if you're not gonna take advantage of the fancy features? :)

Mantra is great too though, it has some nifty stuff no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

I never said it wasn't an impressive renderer. But it's just not really that suited for productions, yet.

HUH???? MR has a pedigree if 10 years of coding behind it. It is production ready, that has been proved/established.. How can you say that?

Check mentalimages for what films it has been used on.Much much more than mantra Id bet my months wages on.....After PrRenderman its MRay..

Jeesh <_<

HUH???? MR has a pedigree if 10 years of coding behind it. It is production ready, that has been proved/established.. How can you say that?

Check mentalimages for what films it has been used on.Much much more than mantra Id bet my months wages on.....After PrRenderman its MRay..

Jeesh <_<

It has been used alright, but not for full-lenght productions. And Mantra is doing pretty well really, I heard.

Just ask Jason, you!