Dam Relesed Effect

morteza

Hi community

I want to create a Dam released Water  Effect , and I want to know which way is better and is correct method for this effect

1- simulate the water movement with POP then use it as emitter and advect velocity , then create a smoke solver for volume

2 - simulate the water movement with old fluid solver then use it as emitter , then create a smoke solver for volume

3 - simulate the water movement with Flip fluid then use it as emitter ,  then create a smoke solver for volume

4 - simulate the water movement with smoke solver , then use it velocity in a POP solver , then use the POP as a velocity update in Smoke Solver

5 - just use POP

6 - Just use Smoke Solver

7 - Just Flip fluid solver

8 - or a new way Base on your suggest

Dam released water reference

Thanks in advance

Morteza

Edited by morteza

I would use particles and Pyro for the cascading stuff, FLIP fluids for collision - but I would set up and bake the particle stuff first. There's no reason for the cascading stuff to interact, it's all going in one direction, so that's why I'd go for particles.

Then I would use those baked particles to drive the FLIP interaction, spray, whitewater, and bake that.

Finally I'd do the pyro, because I would want it interacting (or at least inheriting velocities from closeby particles/FLIP).

Not saying this is the best way, but it would be my initial approach. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Johnny for your advice

I always thinking about my workflow and my tools because every 1 min thinking before every work save hundred hours after start  .

I have nearly idea about this effect workflow but I need some Consultation with you (freelance working issue)  

This is my first step

I hope I can use your very useful advice

Cheers

Morteza

Cool, I gotta check that thread too. Do to an upcoming project with RBD interacting with water, I've actually been in contact with Olivier Maury (who did the mentioned Siggraph demo) recently, about stacking solvers - as their Physbam FLIP solver and Plume can't exchange data at all, they layered the effect. So that's basically why I split it up as I did in my first port. :D

• Like 1

I actually made a mistake in what I wrote. I would sim the spray and whitewater after the Pyro and import the gas velocities to get that feedback in the details. It's an airfield compromise, of sorts. So...

Particles -> FLIP (affected by particles) -> Pyro (affected by particles and FLIP) -> spray & whitewater (affected by particles, FLIP and Pyro)

:)

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

You forgot to post a link. ;)

Not finished yet ,Now it's just Houdini construction plan :)

my mean I'll show it in this thread step by step 

Cheers

Morteza

Edited by morteza

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk

I have a little change in my plan (  Dam release shape ) 

this is my last result (not final steel in progress)

If you have any idea about this effect please guide me

password = odforce

password = odforce

@Farmfield I'm doing this effect with your suggest but when i understand my plan is changed i have to ignore POP level, because I think POP workflow is not necessary for this case but i'm not sure

workflow image

odforce.jpgimage sharing sites

finally i have a huge flood shot in this sequence and i want be similar to the flood effect at Pixar's The Good Dinosaur Movie, if you have any advice about this effect i am grateful for your help

Thanks in advance

Morteza

Edited by morteza

• 1 month later...

Hi Community 

I want to show my result for this topic , before that i want to say i have to finish this work just in 2 week not even 1 day more, so I hope you understand me, 2 week deadline, me, my home PC for work, and a lot of hope for finishing this work in the right time, you can ignore the first 2 min of video and mute the music and narration 

and thanks to  Johnny Farmfield  and  Luke  for help

"""VIMEO Description 

Hi 
This video presentation is about to how work the Dams Disasters in Lorestan/Rudbar Dams .
I'm done all the 3D parts, ((except first crazy space and solar system ) , Fluid simulation , Compositing and editing in 2 weeks as freelancer at home
Machine Spec , Dual Xeon 2650 v2 , 32 GB RAM Geforce 960 
Software Used : Maya,Houdini,Nuke,After,Sapphire,Photoshop,DaVinci Resolve
Clients : Hara Co 

Edited by morteza

• 4 years later...