Animated ivy in Houdini tutorial question

ISUther

Hello, 

I am trying to do Ivy tutorial 
Here is the link to original tutorial: 

When you scroll to the time frame 13:00 in that video there he tries to do is offset the main animation. 
And he uses expression or coding in "timeshift" node
He has in the Frame box following: $F-stamp["../copy2","c",0)
When i type that to the box i do not have leaf anymation any more. 
And i only see points.
I also added hip file.
What am i doing wrong?

4.png

3.PNG

It's difficult to say, but maybe because you have something wrong in the stamp expression/variable, so it takes the defalt value 0.

You should check that you have checked "stamp inputs" in the stamp tab of the copy node, in the same tab your variable should be named "c", and your copy node should be named "copy2"

Also, in your stamp expression you have a bracket instead of a parenthesys, but I guess it's just a typo:  $F-stamp["../copy2","c",0)

Hello, 

Thank you for answering. 
Managed to fix that. I had problem finding time as i try to learn Houdini and same time i work on my daily job. 
I attached the hip file. I have a question s regarding replacing "leaves" with leaves.
WHat should be correct way to do this?
WHat i want to do now is to replace those "leaves" that i have at the moment with leaves as u see in picture. 
ANd i wanted to get good texture on those leaves.
Should i mobel leaves in zBrush first or...?
Never used zBrush before but i think it is needed...

Off topic: 
I live in country where there is not many jobs that are related to Houdini. Country is too small. So i think i have to learn many programs in order to be able to do cood commercial animations etc. 
Because this is what i want to do. This is interesting to me. Not that tech support what i do at the moment where again i get customer who does not even know how to restart pc and instead he is switching monitor off and on and thinks that is restart...

Ivi.Grow.Question.hip

loorberileht.jpg

loorberileht2.JPG

loorberileht3.jpg

loorberileht4.jpg

loorberileht5.jpg

Generally leaves are not modeled unless you are planning a very closeup camera shot. Most plant models will simply provide UV mapped planes/grid connected to the stem. This way you can assign any leaf image you like to the plant.

Here is a link to some open source free plant textures that already have alphas prepared. Your posted images do not have any transparency channel so they won't work well in this situation without further editing in photoshop or gimp.

http://opengameart.org/content/60-cc0-vegetation-textures

Have you tried out the Houdini sculpt node?

For free sculpting options you can try Blender or Sculptris.

i get customer who does not even know how to restart pc and instead he is switching monitor off and on and thinks that is restart...

That happens here in the US also. "Where is the any key?"

Here is a quick attempt at adding a leaf texture to the ivy. Sometimes you have to play around with rotating the stem of the leaf in the correct direction. But basically I added  a UV Texture followed by a material right after the grid. I used plant_22.png from the above site as a texture.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_Ivi.Grow.Question.hiplc

Edited by Atom

Atm i am at work but i will try it at home.
I did plan to use close up camera that later pulls back a bit to show full logo.
But goal was that the growth effect grows 2 branches on both sides with same shape that i have in my hip.
And then leaves form both branch will occure similar way. (6 leaves on one branch and 6 on another). Have to use specific plant leaf types.

Laso have not used uvtextures before. 
WHat materials should i read (tutorials or something) to understand it better?
As i think i need to use custom leaves 

How do you load leaves in to materials?
I downloaded leaves from that site

Edited by ISUther