3d Mean Value Coordinates

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it only works on RH7.3?

18462[/snapback]

Doesn't explain windows H7.365 not working, i'll past it all along to support and see if they can spot anything. In the meantime I'll double check the code just incase there is something i've not initialised that the compile misses, it the only other thing I can think of.

Doesn't explain windows H7.365 not working, i'll past it all along to support and see if they can spot anything. In the meantime I'll double check the code just incase there is something i've not initialised that the compile misses, it the only other thing I can think of.

18464[/snapback]

Oh yes, perhaps there are uninitialized variables in your VEX code...

Oh yes, perhaps there are uninitialized variables in your VEX code...

18465[/snapback]

Can't find any.

Support tested it in H8.0.251 on RH9 and it was ok, so maybe it's some weird combination of Rh7.3 and some windows builds.

Other than that I'm stumped. :angry:

Can't find any.

Support tested it in H8.0.251 on RH9 and it was ok, so maybe it's some weird combination of Rh7.3 and some windows builds.

Other than that I'm stumped.  :angry:

18472[/snapback]

How frustrating for you :-/

I went through the code looking for them too; initializing everything I could and nothing improved.

Oh well, it was only intended as an example, I think if anyone else wants to do anything with this they would probably want to do it in HDK because of the performance hit. It works for me so I'm generally happy with it. It's just frustrating when so called logical computers decide to misbehave for no apparent reason.... :P

Got this back from support, they can't get it to break on Rh7.3 or Windows H7.0.365.

Just freaky.

Hi Simon

I tried testing on 8.0.251 rh and 7.3 7.0.365 on windows and they both seem to be working. Are there any other details that might help me track this down?

Thanks

Luca

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scott Schaefer

Is there a gallery somewhere of deformations you have generated with this method? I saw one of the bunny inside this thread.

Guest Scott Schaefer
What is your interest in this? Got anything specific in mind.

18842[/snapback]

I was one of the people who developed these coordinates (I'm the S. Schaefer in the authors list on the paper) and I'm interested in how people are using them. I'd like to see some examples of deformations that other people have generated using these coordinates.

Fantastic! glad you found us. Thankyou for your paper.

You'll probably be very interested in this then...

Basepitch_organs_test2.zip

I've been waiting for a system like yours to come along for a long time, I knew it was possible but beyond my maths ability to design myself, it's the only practical way of deforming a model like ours. Although it is difficult to tell from this small test there are already about 200 objects in that movie (ignoring the 100+ bones themselves) and we have potentially 100's more elements to add in. The great thing with your method is that I can just add a single deformer to each one and be 100% confident it will follow the rest of animation faultlessly. I can then just plugin in any mocap data I like and hey presto organ animation for free. I just need to extend it a bit to deal with things like the heart beat and diaphram motion.

Guest Scott Schaefer

To answer one post, yes I did find this thread using google.

The movie looks interesting. You mention a single deformer per organ. What do you mean by deformer? In MVC, I defined a control mesh used to govern the deformation. What kind of control meshes do you use here and how are they modified by the mocap data?

Anyway, I'm glad that you've found the coordinates useful. The movie looks great. I don't know if you're going to SIGGRAPH this year. I'll be there since I'm giving the talk on this paper. If you're there, stop by afterwards and we can talk for a while.

To answer one post, yes I did find this thread using google.

The movie looks interesting.  You mention a single deformer per organ.  What do you mean by deformer?  In MVC, I defined a control mesh used to govern the deformation.  What kind of control meshes do you use here and how are they modified by the mocap data?

Anyway, I'm glad that you've found the coordinates useful.  The movie looks great.  I don't know if you're going to SIGGRAPH this year.  I'll be there since I'm giving the talk on this paper.  If you're there, stop by afterwards and we can talk for a while.

18870[/snapback]

Pardon the googlebot thing; it's a bit of an inside joke since we keep finding that Googlebot is the quietest but most diligent member of this forum.

As a quick interjection I would like to congratulate you on this paper; it a really good looking free-form deformation tool that lends itself very well to such a procedural package as Houdini. A few of us have been gaving issues actually executing this due to some obscure Houdini bug no-one can track down but it looks very promising...