Morphogenesis in Houdini

Activate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the largest challenge to be cell splitting for which I needed to implement in-order neighbor traversal:

https://gist.github.com/provos/4e88a9f13fb7354fa680c7b1d4c907b2 (this may not be the latest code)

Let me think about sharing the HIP file. It was a fair bit of work but ultimately nothing particularly special.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Played with this a bit today and it's quite fascinating. The main code is a bit over my head but I changed the nutritient building from random values to using noise to get less even distribution and played with some octane rendering:

Morpho.thumb.jpg.ed8c2a2cd47a7a5f5e1e9cfc5e577d17.jpg

Thanks for the file and cheers!

Tom

• Like 1

That looks great. Thanks for sharing.

When you look at the paper from Lomas, he also experimented with reaction-diffusion as well as photosensitivity, e.g. nutrients get produced where sunlight reaches.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw some of his experiments that start out REALLY interesting looking, almost like a fetus, but most of the time at one point they get overwhelmed by the overall growth (almost like cancer). Would be fascinating to dive into ways to stop that and keep refining those shapes. Basically what nature does after the initial "everything grows" phase where growth becomes limited to detail and intricate features... Otherwise we would probably all be huge blobs or amoebas... ;-)

Maybe having a fixed amount of nutrients available and concentrate them on very specific parts? Refinement as goal, not general growth?

Cheers,

Tom 

• 1 month later...

Hey Neils! Hope you are feel great!

Inside hip file you shared was "All of this is described in detail in Lomas' paper."
Can you share link to this paper?

Thank you!

p.s.: and, of course, thank you for "hip"sharing!

Edited by ZeitG