Vray for Houdini Alpha

LukeLetellier

ChaosGroup has a GitHub page up with it:

https://github.com/ChaosGroup/vray-for-houdini

I know nothing about compiling code, so I have no clue where its at progress wise - but back in May when H15.5 was released, it was one of the render engines mentioned as 'Coming in 2016' - but it sounds like we're pretty far from that at this point, as it hasn't reached a state where the average user can install it yet.

Is anyone here in the know? Have you tried it yet?

Hey Luke, 

I'm testing and I have installed. You do not need to compile code you have to download the latest nightly build from their site. The latest compile is for 15.5.632. If you have Maya for Vray you already have installed the Standalone.

After that just create a folder call it "Vray4Houdini" on whatever location you want and launch vray from the Batch command if you are using Win, Linux Im not 100% sure, I guess it should be something similar.

One more thing open the Batch command and set your location of the folder such as 

set HOME=C:\VRay4Houdini

Edited by Sepu

My installation goes like this (Windows 10):

1. Download the latest nightly build.
  2. Extract the file to any location.
  3. Inside the extracted file, locate the batch file and execute it.

A couple of requirements for it to work:

1. Vray License.
  2. Compatible version of Houdini (currently 15.5.632).

Notes:

• I also tend to simply ALT+Drag the batch file to my desktop to create a shortcut, and rename it to something that indicates it's a Houdini session with Vray.
  • You can also run through the interim wiki/docs to get you started with usage concepts.

When I was at Method I tested it for a bit and reported some of the issues back to the developers.
Lots of the useful things that I learned I put in an interim help document:
https://github.com/ChaosGroup/vray-for-houdini/wiki/Interim-help-docs

I'm now at The Mill where we use Arnold & mantra, but a lot of the underlying principles are somewhat similar.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Luke,

As far as I could tell, you have to take care of farm submission by yourself. There are no 'submit to hqueue' vray specific nodes.

So basically your farm should be able to handle running a shell command. That's why I used shell rops. And then from the shell rop you can call the vray commands, the first that creates the vrscene (which is very similar to houdini baking the scene into ifd). And the second will call the vray command for standalone rendering.
- you only need houdini (engine/batch license on the farm) for the first step: the generation of the vrscene.
- for the second step, you probably don't want to trigger that through houdini, because otherwise it will consume a batch license as well as a vray license which is inefficent.

If you have more specific questions or issues I would suggest to post on the github area as the developers or other users might be able to help you out further. I have been out of that development for the last 6 months, so maybe they have updated things since then.

I think you might try asking this question over at the Sidefx hqueue forum too, because it is relevant to launching any program through hqueue - not just mantra. And some people are launching nuke fxcomps through hqueue so launching the vray command should be possible.

Good luck!

We've experimented lightly with it; but nothing serious yet.  Chaos have stated they consider it 95% complete, but would like to hear of any areas they should focus on to make it truly useful. They're always quite responsive, so make your voice heard on the Issues page on GitHub there :)

• 3 months later...

so ive got the right build but when hitting the batch file it tells me its not the right version (which it is) 

so houdini loads up and there's a vray shelf but i then get this:

no attribute instances

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'instances'