another export alembic as separate objects woes thread

hi all i dont know whats goin on here i've been trying for a couple hours now and to no avail.

I have my crowd sim... i then

unpack

connectivity
partition

convert

clean

then finally alembic rop with $F in the filename so "mycrowd.$F.abc"

now i simply cant figure out how to get the crowd out to maya as separate items.  I've searched all over SESI and watched a video on vimeo and it still wont play ball :(

can anyone advise me what i'm doing wrong here?  It comes into maya just fine as one solid mesh but it'd be nice to be able to turn off the few idiotic agents ruining it for the rest of the otherwise nice sim :)

thanks
ant

I don't have maya so I can't check for you, but I think I remember I used to pack the primitives. So in your case each agent is one packed prim. Then I set the 'path' attribute, a string, to something like /crowd/agents/agent_#. A unique path for each packed prim. Then on the alembic rop you choose "build hierarchy from attribute" and use your attribute there.

Quite unspecific but that's the general idea I think worked. You might not need to use packed prims at all, I guess the path attribute is the important part. 

• Like 1

@Skybar thanks for your reply - i tried that setup after all my nodes but it wasn't playing ball.

so i just tried something simpler as you said your essentially exporting packed geo.. so i literally just tagged the rop on the end of the crowd_sim_import node and then switched on "build hierarchy from attribute" and set that to name in the "path attribute" (it was there as an option by default.  and that seems to have worked!  :)  I have separate characters with separate hammers too hehe!  itd be ace if theres a way to group those up so hammers in one group and characters in another but i am happy to do that in maya :)

arrrrrghhhhh i dont know what the hell is going on here - that same setup i just tried now no longer wants to play ball... it simply exports out the weapons (simple shapes made in houdini) to maya animated and separated out but the deforming mesh is no longer coming through :(

right i've managed to get it working somehow using the following partition mode - altho tbh the other options in that dropdown seem to do much the same thing once in maya.  I'm able to separate out various parts of the setup so i can work with that in maya i reckon...

export_alembic_rop_separated_for_maya.JPG

managed to get my latest uv'd characeter in too and i've got my ragdolls knocking other runners off their feet so thats cool as well :)
rags.JPG