Sculpting Don't Work? (bug #77870)

Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to reshape a triangle based mesh using a sculpt node but all it does it make a mess and fails to work completely after a short time.

Is this just normal? Is it assumed we have to go to an external app for sculpting?

Notice I am attempting to smooth my mesh but nothing happens and the faces are wickedly messed up.

sculpt_issue.gif

Edited by Atom

Sculpt SOP works like a charm for me... have you tried a different mesh to sculpt on? maybe there is something wrong with this one. also, looking at the gif, for me it works very realtime. I'm not experiencing such a heavy lags (unless maybe working with a very heavy mesh).

What would you consider a "heavy" mesh. My mesh is 189K triangles. Sculpting on a different mesh won't work, this is a collision mesh for fluid so I have to use it.

If I bring the same 189K mesh into Blender, Blender sculpts smooth and easy, like butter.

I really have a very low happiness rate with any Houdini viewport interaction. It is slow and clunky and buggy even after I purchased a fairly new video card, the 1070GTX.

So what are you using for hardware, mine is listed in the signature?

I find for me that changing to the smooth operation in the parameters tab can be a bit buggy. Try enlarging your brush some and then using the right click menu in the viewport to make sure you're actually in smooth mode on the current mouse button you're using.

It's best to start smoothing before your geo starts inverting your points though as the inverted points tend to be glossed over by the tool more.

as a heavy mesh a consider something like 5+ mil. polys. with few hundred K you should have realtime update speed. i'm using GTX 960/2gigs at work (linux) and Quadro 3000M/4gigs at home (windows). in both cases sculpt SOP performs well.

i think for the smooth to work the radius of the brush needs to be as big as the area you want to smooth. I don't think you can just smooth the positon of 1 single point, you need to cover an area large enough for the brush to reach more than one point. 

Actually I think I've already posted something about this on odforce, or maybe i've seubmitted an rfe...

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the middle mouse button set to Smooth and the Left to deform.

If I make my brush any larger it just mushes out my collision surface. I really just want a crease brush that I can smooth with.

Not sure why others mention that it works. It does not work correctly.

The sculpt SOP is currently broken in Houdini (  bug #77870 ). I reported it few months ago.

if you can report it to sidefx it will probably get fixed faster. not sure about the state in H16 I havent tested it there.

• Like 1