Can Whitewater Be Derived From Compressed Cache?

Atom

Hi All,

I have a fluid simulation that I have exported a compressed cache for. Can I use this compressed information to generate whitewater? The shelf tool requests that I pick a FluidObject but I don't want to resim just to generate whitewater.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, I am finally getting back to this step of my project now that I have my compressed cache generated.

I created a flat tank and populated it with my compressed cache path and surface cache path. This works as expected, the flat tank turned into my waterfall simulation.

I clicked on the whitewater button and while it does create whitewater it is still linked to the square shape of the original flat tank. So the whitewater does not seem to be recognizing the fact that I have supplied cache files.

Is there more setup I have to do to link these two systems?

Untitled-1.jpg

Ok, I think I figured out what when wrong.

There are two more steps you must complete for this to work.

1.) You must set the Whitewater Solver's Volume Limit Size and Volume Limits Center equal to the volume limits settings from the FLIP Solver that originally generated the cache. I kind of assumed that if the whitewater solver was fetching from compressed data that it would know the bounding area for that data, this is not the case. I was seeing the box size from above because the whitewater limits were linked by expression to the box size from the fliptank when the shelf tool generated the default system.

2.) You also have to include the collision objects from the original FLIP sim inside the whitewater DOP network. There is no implied collision with this technique so the white water was just leaking through the hole in my surface cache.

After these two changes it looks like I am getting better results.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1