Using Lsystem for Cracks

DeviousShadows

53 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

With the new booleans in H16 it will be WAY easier to create cutting plane type setups in Houdini, so I'd say, don't even bother messing with that until after the 21st... ;)

Really excited for it too! Sadly, this is part of an assignment and I have to submit it before the release. :(

I spent weeks doing RnD on a method that would combine the idea of a growing crack in combination with fracturing and a bullet sim - but though the idea is valid, I just haven't found a method for creating the crack in a way I wanted to put out there - the cut plane support in the new boolean SOP will make that possible, so I'll try to get it out as soon as I can after H16 is released - it's a pretty cool idea, something I haven't seen anyone else do... :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys!

@Atom Your file worked well but I wasn't able to use the concept because it's usable only on flat planes.

What I did was use the Lsystem, projected it onto the mesh and then used Profile to extract the projected Lsystem.

The look wasn't exactly what I was looking for but they resembled cracks so it was good enough!

• Like 1