Advice

Yon

Hey,

This is not directly Houdini related but this forum is my only channel to others in the industry.

How common is a two month contract?

I got into Sony's internship program but it starts in 3 months. I cannot be idle for this time. Will it be difficult to find a two month contract    In between? 

Will the odds of getting a offer be significantly less, having to pitch with a two month constraint?

Thanks for your insight

yes, plenty of freelancing gigs in commercials are short term 1 day to couple of weeks (occasionally months even)

and TV shows can be weeks to months

not really familiar with Vancouver though

• Like 1

If the internship is your first gig, I would take it and not think too much about it. The odd's of landing something staff out of the gate or for a full feature will be relatively small. You can always keep on looking, I'm sure Sony will understand if you do land a much longer term gig i.e. a full feature of staff job. However don't burn your bridge, with Sony if the alternative gig isn't a signed contract, and only overlaps slightly. A paying gig for an internship, usually means more in the contacts you will make there, and there is often the potential to be brought on to projects in house afterwards, as you are a known quantity at that point. This is how R&H used to operate. There is no guarantee a new contract will happen after the internship, but it is something that is known to happen, thusly, why it is not good to burn the bridge. 

Commercials is really about getting lucky on a per need basis, and then the person that is currently working there is usually the person they will keep hiring back until they leave, or that series/style of commercials stops. Apply and who knows you may get lucky, there are a lot of studios that could use fresh blood.

Honestly I did 3-D Dental Advertising while I was interning at SideFX to help pay my bills. If you have an old job that is out of industry it may be worth it as a bridge if you need the cash. My Loans forced me to work from the moment I graduated, so I continued working at a Hotel doing AV until I went to LA.

Good Luck!

• Like 1