Motion Blur With Particles!

kingsoz

Hi 3D people,

I have been trying for ages and ages to get motion blur to render with geometry copied to particles but it simple has no affect at all! If no geometry is copied to the particles and the default spheres are used on the particle SOP then this does work with motion blur, but i really do need the geometry copied to them.

I have tried all 3 motion blur types and altered the shutter speed enless times but they have no affect!

If anybody has any idea how to solve this it would be much appreciated

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuu

King Soz

Hi,

the short answer: you need to add velocity attributes after your copy sop. ie use a point sop, add velocity, multiply the velocity for an added effect... ex $VX*8 etc

the longer answer which I'm paraphrasing from the help docs, Rendering/Troubleshooting_Mantra_rendering/is that for mantra's motion blur to work the number of points/cv's has to be consistent from frame to frame. With a template particle system your point count changes as the sim progresses.

I would check that you are inheriting the particle velocities, at the copy sop (last tab ..inherit point attributes), use a point sop for adding velocity.

Another Gotcha. Test it with a new mantra rop and lock all the motion blur parameters...(camera, object, and rop) to velocity attribute. The default mantra render tab seems to have motion blur off.

cheers

Tom

Hi 3D people,

I have been trying for ages and ages to get motion blur to render with geometry copied to particles but it simple has no affect at all!  If no geometry is copied to the particles and the default spheres are used on the particle SOP then this does work with motion blur, but i really do need the geometry copied to them.

I have tried all 3 motion blur types and altered the shutter speed enless times but they have no affect!

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuu

King Soz

19453[/snapback]

hey man, it didn't work! :(

i added the point SOP to the end of the copy SOP and added velocity, multiplied them by 8, put velocity attribute motion blur on in the output and still nothing!

am i doing it wrong??

sorry to keep bothering you

King Soz

The Trail SOP can also compute velocity for you.

19483[/snapback]

But then you are full circle and stuck with broken motion blur the moment you add in another particle-object to the system. Yes the Trail SOP can not calculate velocity between two sets of geometry that are not the same as does Mantra and PRMan. Stick to velocity-based blur.

Velocity motion blur isn't the panacea that it seems to be. You have to tweak the amount of the velocity vectors to get the blur to match real motion blur. For this use a Point SOP after the Copy SOP and go to the Particle folder. Turn on Use Velocity and then multply the $VX, $VY and $VZ variables to get the blur right. I usually multiply each variable by 0.5 as a start to simulate a half-frame shutter speed then tweak from there

Another issue is that the geometry-object may be scaled in the Object network or in other words, "in a different space". You have to account for this with respect to the velocity vectors.

Remember that the velocity coming out of POPs is just that: the current instantaneous velocity of the particle. Hopefully this is something reperesenting the distance the object has travelled from the previous frame to the current but not always. If a particle encounters a strong force, well, your velocity may not be quite right. It is for this reason that in some cases I build my own velocity vectors which is the actual distance the particle has travelled from the previous frame to the current frame in POPs or SOPs.

Just things to watch for when using velocity based blur.

Hi 3D people,

I have been trying for ages and ages to get motion blur to render with geometry copied to particles but it simple has no affect at all!  If no geometry is copied to the particles and the default spheres are used on the particle SOP then this does work with motion blur, but i really do need the geometry copied to them.

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuu

King Soz

19453[/snapback]

Hello,

Where can you set those 3 motion blur types? I searched , but didn't find...

many thanks,

bernard

Hello,

Where can you set those 3 motion blur types? I searched , but didn't find...

many thanks,

bernard

19513[/snapback]

Howdy,

They are:

Transformation Blur, which works with SOP level animation

Deformation Blur, which works with Object level animation

Velocity Blur, which takes on velocity point attribute to determine the motion blur.

You can find them on your Object's render tab or your ROPs. Velocity Blur is pretty nice because you can actually just sholve your own velocity vector into any point and do your own motion blur. However, as stated earlier, generally you'd want to use velocity blur when dealing with particle animations.

HTH,

Alex :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well, here is an old thread with a wealth of information on some fresh issues

regarding of course motion blur on copy objects, particles and instances.

One of the first things what a new houdini user diggs out is

a beautiful motion blur that mantra has and wishes to use it

almost on everything, cant get enough of the good stuff, even

rendering really, really slow animations with enormous motion blur,

heh, that looks even more groovey :)

O.K. for a Houdini 9.1 things are little more different,

more user friendly, or more lottery like compared to H8.

In H9 you should get your motion blur by only checking

it in render settings, high shutter for camera and there you go,

but we can get into problems.

As I found out with simple copy SOP spheres on animated revolve surface,

no motion blur whatsoever, because I was having sin$F expression

instead of sin$FF for curve point that makes revolved surface

basic my dear Watson you say, but as a beginner its a good excercise

to grasp difference between floating and hole numbers as houdini sees it.

I didnt see any difference until I restared scene, thats maybe one thing

to look for.

ye old school post is great help

• 5 months later...