UV Pass in Houdini

pineapplemegan

Is there a way to create a UV pass inside of Houdini? I've already rendered out the object with the uv pass texture applied, but I was wondering if there was a way to map a new texture after I've rendered it, I know you can do it in After Effects but I would like everything to be done in Houdini. Ive attached the uv pass texture I spoke of, Im still really new to Houdini and I'm sorry if all my terminology is incorrect:wacko:

Thanks

render_pass_colourmap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% sure but I doubt it, at least out of the box. You would do it in COPs if anywhere but sidefx hasn't given that area a lot of love lately so I doubt there is a built-in way.

But what you are looking for, at least in nuke-terms is an st-map, you might be able to find the math behind it on google.  But honestly you are probably better off just re-rendering a flat color pass with a constant shader using the new texture than going through the hassle of building a retexturing tool in Houdini

• 3 weeks later...

It's an old thread, I know. You can take the R and G channels from the rendered image and plug them back into U and V assuming there's no illumination and it's just straight up texture coordinates in the pass. It won't work very good though because there's no way to account for motion blur or anti aliasing when applying the texture back to the rendered texture coordinates. Crap in, crap out. Actually rendering the textures into the beauty pass will result in a much cleaner image in the end.