Boolean and Voronoi Fracture problem

logix1390

Hello,

I have a rough model of a building I created in Houdini using the new boolean operator. It works perfectly, however when I use the voronoi fracture afterwards, it does something very unexpected and gives me very weird geometry. I tried a combination of the facet and fuse sops to clean the geo a little but it still gives me problems. I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank you.

boolean_problem.hip

i also had similar problem. my guess: boolean is very very acurate and can give some very tiny little face, which problably bring the voronoi fracture sop in some troubles. my workaround is to use a remesh, for nice distributed polys. 

i also come in trouble with subfractruring with boolean again. the first boolean pass works fine. but when i subfracturing the boolean again it almost impossible get any or a nice result. my guess: the first booleanpass produces non manifold meshes on the edges(i.e. when object and fracture geo have different mesh resolution) ... here i build new mesh with vdb. this works fine....but with all the remesh and vdb workflow you will lose a lot of high frequency mesh details...or you have to work with high dense and very heavy meshes.

i would be happy to hear from other experiences or workaround.

here's my workaround....after your Blast2, add a Subdivide>Opensubdiv Bilinear>Depth 3

The problem is you're expecting Boolean to intelligently divide/connect points from an incredibly sparse geo to start with...ie. a big box with just 8 points at the corners....in general, how do you model something very complexed/organic with a handful of verts ? Any s/w would have problems with that...

Plus you've got extrude to give a depth/thickness then the fact that the Boolean has to use Union instead of the more logical Subtract tells you that it's 'dodgy'...I would have not extruded it, let the Boolean treat is as Surface...and see that the more correct operation Subtract works...then do extrude later...

Boolean1.jpg