External SSD

Hans Peter

Hey, 

currently I'm caching my sim stuff out to a 7200 rpm HDD. Loading times can get pretty heavy from time to time - depending on the scene. I guess saving times are also pretty high which can strech simming times a bit. 

I want a SSD drive with up to 2 TB. Maybe you have some experience you wanna share. My boot drive is an M2 SSD with 512 GB. Really fast but to smal for caching out bigger sims to disk. 

Gracias!

Edited by Heraklit

it depends what you are caching - the compressed cache for flips takes quite a bit to decompress and produce useable data - so its more cpu bound than other types of caches.

FLIP, PYRO, Whitewater, RBD etc. Whitewater caches for example take really long to load when being beyond 30 million.

CPU is a 6950X @ 4 to 4.2 GHZ. I did some tests with caching out a few 100 GB to my SSD. Its just faster to work with and feels much more comfortable. Can happen that I have to wait 30 sec for a scene to load a new frame. Of course I don't want an SSD with 2 TB with the same speed. Something intermediate...

Edited by Heraklit

• 2 weeks later...

Still didn't buy a new one but using the inbuild SSD. Man, its just awesome. 30 million particles are loading on no time. That just took forever with a 7500 RPM drive. About 20 sec to load a frame vs. around 2 sec. Also the simming process is much faster due to the faster writing. Just about everything is getting boosted. Even flipbooking of heavy scenes took too long with normal HDDs. Since the new flip tools are just saving a thin layer of fuid I can easily save a 100x100 m flip sim with around 120 GB + 100 GB whitewater and still have room left. Of course only during one project. would delete everything again when not used anamore. I surely will buy a bigger SSD soon. Love it. 

Edited by Heraklit

May be that its delaying the whole stuff but in the end there will be data to load from and write to disk.

Didn't thought the HDD could be such a big bottle neck. when a ww sim takes 40 sec per frame and more than half of it consists out of saving stuff to disk you can easily see whats the difference. Just made a test. Copied one ww frame from the ssd to the hard drive. that alone took 23 seconds. Copying directly to the ssd pretty much isn't taking time at all. 

Edited by Heraklit

20 hours ago, marty said:

Is there any delay with the CPU rebuilding the compressed particles? 

If I recall correctly Houdini is using LZ4 now which on a modern CPU can handle many gigabytes per second of throughput. The bottleneck here is going to be the storage device. I'm familiar with LZ4 when used with ZFS where reading and writing data that's compressed is actually faster than working with uncompressed data. This is very different from the old Gzip compression which has a slightly better compression ratio but is horrifically slow.

NVMe sounds incredibly useful! What a nice addition to the Performance Monitor that would be - disk read/write times!

Edited by tar