Parallel inset extrude to outer hull (formula)

MrHoo

Hi,

I can't get my brain around how to solve this problem. I've got a simple tube with to different radii (lower one is smaller), I grouped its top face and did a first extrude with an inset to get some thickness.
Then I extruded downwards with some inset.
I am searching for a procedural solution having the inner extrude always being parallel to the outer hull. Can somebody point me into the right direction?

See attached image.

Thanks & Cheers!

Dominik

inset.jpg

Edited by MrHoo

Thx Konstantin,

as usual the easy way is just in front of me and I refused to take it.

I made it too complicate... but anyway, thanks for the vid, I'll try to get the concepts to try to solve my way :-) 

Cheers!

here you are...would you call the wrangle 'formulaic' ?

(surprise it took me so loooooong, it's just bloody basic trigonometry...still scratching my head why it's a plus offset instead

of subtract :blink:)

aw...derrrrrrr...it's because when extruding the bucket depth....depth is negative so I forgot to stick a minus infront.....wow...that held me up awhile there....fixed now

vu_bucket2.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

ok....finally...here IS the formula...

(ch("../tube1/rad1") - ch("../tube1/rad2")) * -ch("dist") / ch("../tube1/height")

of course, it would only make sense if you dive in and see the file working...

It even works when you deliberately sabotage it by extruding the bucket bottom UP !! time to kick the bucket...

EDIT: you might have been wondering why I need the 0.5 at the front ? well of course I don't, I kept looking

at my rough pen&paper sketch and used 0.5 diameter to get radius when really I should just use....errr...Radius, silly me, anyway, taken the 0.5 out of the formula now...

bucket2.jpg

vu_bucket3.hipnc

Edited by Noobini
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Noobini,

(ch("../tube2/rad1") - ch("../tube2/rad2")) * (-1*ch("dist")) / 10 --- this was my first attempt - I justed missed the height (don't know why I used 10 hehe)

And from there I complicated and screwed evrything haha

Thx both of you !!

Cheers!