Error With Particles Collision

pld

Hi All,

i'm very new to Houdini (couple of weeks) and experimenting with particles. I am trying to have particles slide (or bounce) when they collide with a surface which acts as a slide. I think that I set up the network correctly however 10% or so of the particles go through the colliding geometry as if no geometry was there!?! I assume that is something to do with how often Houdini is computing the simulation...

Is there a way to solve this issue?

this is my POP net:

Source (use a grid as geometry source) - force - drag - collision (use second geometry source)

Many thanks!

Hi there,

There have recently been reports and bug-fixes for particle sliding. Only in the very recent versions of Houdini 8 hass this been fixed. Try downloading today's version of Houdini 8 and try again.

Write back here or on Side Effects' forum if you continue to have troubles with it.

Good luck,

Jason

Hi there,

There have recently been reports and bug-fixes for particle sliding. Only in the very recent versions of Houdini 8 hass this been fixed.  Try downloading today's version of Houdini 8 and try again.

Write back here or on Side Effects' forum if you continue to have troubles with it.

Good luck,

Jason

21376[/snapback]

Hi Jason,

thanks for the reply. I'm actually testing this with Houdini 6.1 and 7. I did try with 8 last week and noticed that particle sliding wasn't working at all. In my case the problem is different. The sliding is working nicely, however every second or so I see a few particles that ignore the colliding geometry... Any ideas? I tried to increase the value of Ovesampling on the Popnet to 5 but still no joy

patrick

Hi patrick,

In the Collision POP, set the "Hint" geometry type from "Static Geometry" to "Deforming Geometry (Only Triangles)". This option is only available from Houdini 7.0 & up. To convert the collision geometry to triangles, you can use a Divide SOP.

As for Oversampling, you want to set the Oversampling parameter of the Collision POP instead of the popnet. There is a difference to them.

Else, please post your hip file so we can take a look at it.

Cheers!

steven

Hi patrick,

In the Collision POP, set the "Hint" geometry type from "Static Geometry" to "Deforming Geometry (Only Triangles)". This option is only available from Houdini 7.0 & up. To convert the collision geometry to triangles, you can use a Divide SOP.

As for Oversampling, you want to set the Oversampling parameter of the Collision POP instead of the popnet. There is a difference to them.

Else, please post your hip file so we can take a look at it.

Cheers!

steven

21380[/snapback]

Hello,

How can I set the Oversampling parameter on a Collision POP? It's not highlighted. (just greyed-out...)

Many thanks,

bernard